Please sign in to post.

Lisbon and…?

Hi friends!

My fiancé and I will be in Ireland in October for a wedding menu tasting. She turns 30 the following week, so we are spending 5 days in Portugal, as a birthday trip. We are flying into Lisbon on a Monday morning and land at 7:30a. We will have already recovered from jet lag having been in Ireland for a few days.

Looking for advice on where to spend out 5 days. Certainly want 2-3 in Lisbon. Should we take a train to the Algarve for relaxing seaside days? Porto for another city escape? I know sintra is a popular day trip but is there a second day trip worth taking?

Any guidance you can offer would be fantastic.

Posted by
1658 posts

Cascais is another nice day trip, and it has a lovely beach.

Posted by
1681 posts

For five days, I’d stay in Lisbon. There is plenty to keep you busy, especially if you want to visit Sintra, too. Take long lunches outside with great views. Visit a few of the museums if you want. Belem can fill an entire day itself. If you want to venture further out, Evora makes a lovely day trip. And, as mentioned, Cascais has beaches if you need a beach fix. So does Carcavelos but the town itself is not as picturesque.

Posted by
141 posts

Agree just stay in Lisbon. Sintra is a daytrip in and of itself. Belem has some worthy sights and easily reached via public transit and could take a nice chunk of another day. That leave you with 3 other days to explore the city sights and I think you won't have a problem filling that time. We chose not to go to the Algarve even though we are beach lovers because the feedback we were reading from other travels left us feeling with such a short amount of time that we had on our trip it wouldn't have been worth trying to fit in.

Posted by
69 posts

What kathrynj said! Given the short amount of time you have I would stay in Lisbon and if you require a beach break I would skip the Algarve and spend a day or two in Cascias.