Please sign in to post.

Lisbon airport

Have a few questions about the airport in Lisbon. I'm a US citizen visiting in early September 2019.

1. Will be arriving from Budapest. Do I go though passport control again and if so how long does it take on average?

2. Will be leaving to fly back to the US (on TAP Portugal) what are the steps (check-in, passport control, ect.) and average time to go through it all?

Thanks!

Posted by
5104 posts

Will be arriving from Budapest. Do I go though passport control again and if so how long does in take on average?

You won't go through passport control in Lisbon as Hungary and Portugal are in the Schengen zone. This the equivalent of a domestic flight in the USA,

Will be leaving to fly back to the US, what are the steps (check-in, passport control, ect.) and average time to go through it all?

You will go through passport control on your way back to the USA.
Just start the entire process 3 hours before the flight; that is the the standard. Not unless the airline contacts you to say otherwise, which they will do the day before the flight.

Edit: Sometimes there is a 2nd security screening after the 1st one when flying back to the USA and this is what takes up a lot of time.

Posted by
724 posts

I agree you won’t go through passport control coming from Budapest.

However, I don’t think you need three hours when you go back to the States. I just made the trip back to the States for my annual holiday visit. I arrived two hours prior to the flight. I also had to check in as British airways wouldn’t allow online check in coming back to the U.S.

I had time for breakfast after passport control before the gate was even announced. I’ve made this trip back for the last three years and have always arrived two hours prior to the flight with no difficulties.

Posted by
189 posts

For us on departing LIS to return to the USA.
1. Checked in via phone. Online was a failure with TAP.
2. Security was very efficient and quick.
3. Then the shopping area where there are signs saying your gate is just 10 minutes away.
4. Wrong! Passport Control is between the shopping and the gate. For us, a 45 minute experience.
5. Another security check at the gate which took about 5 minutes.

Posted by
43 posts

Thank you all. davebarnes, thank you for the break down that helps a lot.

Posted by
103 posts

I make a similar flight back to the US twice a year. My advice is to get to the Lisbon airport at least two hours early. Sometimes the check in goes quickly, sometimes not. The passport control mentioned in earlier posts can take as little as 10 minutes, or as much as an hour. The best restaurants are on the outside of passport control, which is an unfortunate design problem in my opinion.