Please sign in to post.

Itinerary tweak - Iceland and Portugal 3 weeks Sept-Oct 2023

Seeking help from the Forum to review what I think is a good itinerary for Portugal with stopover in Iceland Sept-Oct 2023. This will be my first time in Iceland and second trip to Portugal. Traveling solo for 3 weeks, so probably all public transportation (trains, buses, ferry).

My first trip to Portugal my focus was The Algarve and Lisbon (at the end of a Spain trip 2015). Now it’s up North from Lisbon - coastal, Porto and Douro. I enjoy churches, cathedrals, museums to a certain extent but also really like spending active time outside with city, beach and nature/park walks. I’m intrigued by the huge surf in Nazare too.

One question I have: for days in Nazare, do you think I could accomplish day trips to Obidos and Alcobaca on the same day using the bus? I’m toying with the idea of renting a car when leaving Lisbon for the coastal journey and returning it in Porto. I have not rented a car outside of the US but have read a lot about those who do. I’m a little uncomfortable driving by myself in a foreign country and just think I may enjoy the scenery more if I’m not focused on driving.

Please let me know what you think - tweak the plan somewhere?

9/29 Flight Seattle > Iceland arrival early a.m. - drop bags, explore Reykjavik

9/30 Iceland - South Coast tour (Reykjavik Expeditions)

10/1 Iceland - Golden Circle tour w/Fontana Springs (Reykjavik Expeditions)

10/2 Flight Iceland > Frankfurt (early morning), then Flight to Lisbon (early evening)

10/3 Lisbon

10/4 Lisbon

10/5 Lisbon - Food tour (this is a holiday)

10/6 Sintra day trip (Pena Palace and National Palace)

10/7 Lisbon Flea Market and Cascais day trip

10/8 Travel to Nazare (bus) or pick up RAC - Explore Nazare and Sitio

10/9 Nazare - day trips to Obidos and Alcobaca

10/10 Travel to Coimbra late afternoon (bus)

10/11 Coimbra

10/12 Coimbra - day trip to Conimbriga

10/13 Travel to Porto mid-day, do RS Porto walk

10/14 Porto - Gaia for Port lodges and do RS Inspired Trolley Ride

10/15 Porto - visit Museums and Churches; River cruise(?)

10/16 Travel to the Douro - Quinta stay

10/17 Douro - Quinta stay

10/18 Travel to Porto (train) late afternoon/early evening

10/19 Flight Porto > Frankfurt early morning

10/19 Flight Frankfurt > Seattle late afternoon

I have not booked my flights from Frankfurt to Lisbon nor Porto to Frankfurt yet. Also, I have my accommodations in Iceland and the Quinta in the Douro reserved but nothing else. I am following the Forum, using guidebooks and the internet on suggestions for accommodations in Lisbon, Nazare and Porto. Mostly, I enjoy comfortable small inns or hotels but usually at least once during a long trip will look at standard “Americanized” hotels with all the amenities. Suggestions?

Thank you for looking this over and I am open to your ideas. I have a fair amount of time to plan and tweak this.

Linda

Sent from my iPad

Posted by
1680 posts

I would encourage you to rent a car for the days in the central portion of the country. Driving in that area is very easy and visiting the places you mention by bus will be a very frustrating experience. The trains to those places aren’t good either. It would be easy to drive to Conimbriga on your way to Coimbra then turn the car in there. I picked one up there a number of years ago and it was easy.

And, the giant waves in Nazaré don’t happen that time of the year. Sorry! You might want to check out some other towns in that area if the waves were your only reason for staying in Nazaré. It’s not my favorite silver coast town.

Posted by
6113 posts

I hope your flights are booked as through tickets rather than two separate legs. If you are planning on separate tickets, then you need to allow more leeway.

I would hire a car. Taking the bus from Lisbon to Nazare (not my favourite coastal place) to then travel a quarter of the way back to Obidos doesn’t make sense.

Posted by
1322 posts

Kathryn and Jennifer. I think you have both convinced me to rent a car for the coastal portion. It really doesn’t make sense to backtrack from Nazare to Obidos. I chose Nazare because I saw the accommodations were somewhat less expensive than Obidos. I’ve seen BIG surf at Pipeline on Oahu but never 80-100 foot waves. Maybe it’s November December, that the Nazare waves are big.

So, I am open to suggestions for a better more cohesive location to base myself for the 4-5 days on the coast. Thought it would be nice to have some relaxing beach time midway through the trip. My budget is tight for this portion because Im splurging in Iceland, Lisbon and the Douro. Thinking 90-120€/night but could stretch it a bit. Suggestions?

Posted by
682 posts

I know that you didn't ask, but since you mentioned an early flight out of Iceland I hope that you are aware that it's at least 45 minutes to get to the KEF airport from Reykjavik.

Posted by
1322 posts

Jennifer, my flights from Frankfurt and out of Porto will be reserved separate from the Iceland-Frankfurt-Seattle portion. Thinking I might fly from Porto a day earlier and stay at a Frankfurt airport hotel for the flights back home to Seattle. I wanted to maximize time in Douro and Porto, but the short connection on Oct/19 is a bit concerning.

Probably better to be on the safe side and allow myself an easier transition back home especially at the end of the trip.

Posted by
1322 posts

Naalehu- yes, I am aware of the early rising. It will be tough, I won’t lie.

It’s also time for me to return to the Big Island. Lived there from 1985-1996. Been back 2 or 3 times cause my son lives there. It’s so diverse and beautiful on the BI. I love it.