Please sign in to post.

Itinerary questions

Hi, my friend and I are spending 11 full days in Portugal next month (late October). I’ve read other posts that I may be trying to fit too much in. Plan so far is arrive Porto, spend 3 nights ( 2& half days) including a Douro valley tour, drive (still deciding if car rental or train) to Coimbra one night. .,then to Nazare 2 nights, next 3 days up in the air, deciding if time to go south. Then to Lisbon for 3 days before flying out. I’m not one who loves to plan but my friend has never done European travel. Can I leave some days up in the air to see where/what we are drawn to? Also as I mentioned before not sure of our transportation between destinations, but would love to have the flexibility of a rental car.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Posted by
7024 posts

With the extra days consider adding a second night to Coimbra and the remaining two nights to Tomar.

We had a rental car when we visited.

Posted by
1768 posts

Don’t try to go south of Lisbon. 11 days is enough to see the northern half of the country. I would add the days to Lisbon as there are many day trips from there. Nazaré is only one of the beach towns in the silver coast area. You might want to take a look at some others before deciding to stay there two nights. However, from there you can visit Alcobaca and Batalha, which are very interesting.

Other than Nazaré, you don’t need a car. Trains are easy and inexpensive, as are the buses. In Porto and Lisbon you definitely don’t need or want a car.

As far as not reserving accommodations for a portion of your trip. It’s would be quite risky as Portugal is very popular. You might find something last minute but it might not be what you really want.