Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help Please

Hi :)
Traveling for the first time to Portugal with my husband, daughter (will be 7 months old) and mother in May. Looking for recommendations and advice please.
- Arrive Lisbon 11:30 AM - spend 3 nights in Lisbon (with day trip to Sintra).
- Pick up rental car & drive to Porto with short stops for lunch, nursing child & stretch our legs in Tomar and/or Coimbra.
- Spend 3 nights in Porto (suggestions for things to do like day trips, tours?)
- Drive to Lagos (any suggestions for stops on the route?)
- Spend 3 nights in Lagos (plan to explore Lagos & do a day trip to Carvoeiro where we will hike the seven hanging trail one way only)
- Check out in the morning & drive to Lisbon for flight at 6 PM

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
763 posts

If you haven't already purchased your tickets, it might be better to do an open-jaw, into one city, Porto or Lagos (which will not be easier than Porto, though), drive in one direction and leave from the other. Backtracking from Porto to the Algarve is about a six hour trip (if not more, which is often the case) and backtracking again from the Algarve to Lisbon is at least another three (plus time to stop to nurse, eat, etc.), and unless you have a specific reason for wanting to do it (to see the countryside, e.g.), it isn't very efficient. You don't have a lot of time. Maybe dropping Lagos or Porto would be a better way to spend your short time on your first trip. You also might consider skipping the car entirely. Parking in Porto and Lagos isn't fun, and the trains are comfortable and well-priced.

Posted by
6113 posts

You will be lucky if you drive Porto to Lagos in 6 hours - this would be on the boring toll roads. I wouldn’t advise Porto- Lisbon - Algarve unless you had at least 2 full weeks in Portugal unless you want to spend most of your time in transit, especially with a baby.

You can easily spend 9 nights between Lisbon and Porto, visiting towns such as Obidos, Tomar, Alcobaca and Batalha or have some beach time. I used Caldas da Rainha as a great base for exploring these towns. Porto is compact and can be seen in a day or two, but you can easily fill 4 full days in Lisbon plus day trips.

I would want to be closer to Lisbon than the Algarve on the last night. Presumably you will need to be at the airport for 3pm latest.

Posted by
6046 posts

christine- I am going to make some suggestions and this is based solely on my research- planning a 24 night trip to Portugal in May- so no first hand experience yet.

You are trying to cover too much ground in too short a trip- you have 10 nights, is that correct? Count your trip in NIGHTs not days.
A 3 night stay means just 2.5 days or less to sightsee- after you've checked out/traveled to/checked in, and oriented yourselves.
You are going north then way south then north again- that's a lot of time spent driving and sitting in a car- pretty much 3 of your days are on the road.

3 Nights in Porto- in your plan probably not arriving til dinner time so really just 2 days now- not really time for a day trip from here- and you do not need or want a car in Porto. Stopping along the way with a car means dealing with parking, hiding your luggage, etc. Both Tomar and Coimbra should be given at least an overnight stay.

I'd drop Porto- it sounds like you have more interest in Lagos- hiking and beach time?

3 nights in Lisbon- your arrival day is a wash- jet lag and with a 7 month old. Don't expect to be at your lodgings til maybe 2:30 pm at best. That leaves just 2 full days and you want to day trip to Sintra- so really just 1 day for Lisbon.

If your flights are booked already and you have a RT Lisbon- then try to arrange your itinerary to visit Lisbon as your last stay- one less hotel change- and no way would I plan to drive to LIS from Algarve on departure day- too many things can go wrong- and the drive is going to take much longer than you think.

Fly into Lisbon- arrive 11:30
To Sintra- 2 nights- nice place to get over jet lag. Visit 1 sight- National Palace? on arrival day, the other sights next day
(Take a cab or book a car/shuttle from airport- about 30-35 euros- door to door service)

Pick up car as you leave Sintra- Drive to Lagos
Lagos 4 nights- enjoy

Drive back to Lisbon- drop car
Lisbon 4 nights- plenty to do here
Depart LIS 6 pm- so you do still have some time this am. You'll need to be at airport by 3- (assuming you are flying to US)

You will need to make sure your rental car is large enough for the 4 of you and all your luggage and baby accessories
I use AutoEurope.com for all European rentals- they are a US based consolidator with excellent service, best rates.
You can book on their website or give them a call toll free- they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Posted by
15582 posts

Take into account that babies generally take longer to get over the time change. You can't make them go to sleep or stay awake to suit your schedule. As a nursing mother, that will also affect your schedule!

With only 9 nights and a baby, I'd stick to half the country - choose either north to Porto or south to the Algarve. Heck, even without a baby, I suggest that. There is plenty to see and do to fill your days. It would be a shame to use nearly half your time just getting from place to place. Packing/unpacking and settling in will take time - more with a baby - so 3N in a place gives you only 2 days.

Sintra in May is crowded. As a day trip you'll only be there with multitude of other day trippers. It is enjoyable as a 1-2 night stay, not so much as an outing from Lisbon.

Porto is not a place for a car. Your best bet is to park at the airport and take the metro into the city. Better yet is to take the train to Porto Campanha station and taxi to your hotel.
Algarve Driving times as estimated by GPS, google maps, etc. are more or less accurate for tollroad driving, but expect nearly 50% more time on other roads.

Posted by
1669 posts

The other posters have said much of what I would say - so I will just add my vote to dropping one of the three destinations you mention. It’s simply too much driving for such a short time in the country. And, there is so much to see and do between two of your stated destinations - especially between Lisbon and Porto. I realize the desire to see as much as possible, but staying in fewer places with less driving will much improve your trip.