Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help please

My husband and I (60's) will be picking up a car in Porto after spending a few nights there. We will drive up the Douro Valley and spend 1 night in Regua. We then have 3 nights free before returning the car in Lisbon. We love history, museums, great seafood, walks/hiking. We live close to the beach here in Florida and love it, and were told Nazare is an interesting stop. I would welcome any suggestions or where to spend these 3 nights. Thanks for any recommendations.

Posted by
3150 posts

A few years ago I stayed at Casa da Cisterna in the disused town of Castelo Rodrigo southeast of Regua. The owner of the B&B offers tours of the Coa Valley National Archeological sites. She provides transportation and you arrive at dusk. Find out why the settlers chose this area and then enter the park (she has a key for the gate) to see the Paleolithic engravings on the rock walls after sunset. Illuminating them with a flashlight makes them more visible and her descriptions were mesmerizing. It was a highlight of my trip to Portugal. The B&B is beautiful and the surrounding area is great for hiking and touring. There’s also the Coa museum and other quaint towns to visit. Of course, no beaches. Get your feet wet when you come back to the Sunshine State.

Posted by
1654 posts

I’m not that fond of Nazaré and think there are much more interesting towns in the central part of Portugal. Coimbra or Tomar would better fit your interests of history. If you really want a beach town, São Martinho do Porto is quite nice. And, it’s centrally located so it’s easy to visit Alcobaça and Batalha from there to get your history fix.
On your way to Lisbon, you might want to stop at Óbidos for a few hours.
You might want to research these places before you commit to Nazaré.

Posted by
6113 posts

Kathrynj has echoed my exact thoughts! Personally, I don't understand the attraction of Nazare.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks for the input. We can skip Nazare, and get our beach fix back home. Philip, I have read about this B & B and it does sound interesting! Worth looking into. Is it worth spending the night in Coimbra, and if so where? The same question for Obidos, or is Obidos done in a few hours? We could always get to Lisbon a day early and do another day trip from there. We planned to go to Sinatra once at our home base in Lisbon. Any other day trips using public transportation from Lisbon?

Posted by
3150 posts

On my trip I went from Castelo Rodrigo through the Duoro Valley to Porto. After a few days there, I headed for my next overnight in Obidos with stops in Coimbra, Batalha and Alcobaça along the way.

I hope you spend at least a night in Evora. If you do, make dinner reservations at Botequim da Mouraria - 12 seats, you sit at a counter and wish you could always get food this good.

If you can add a day to your trip, do so. Portugal has so much to see and savor.