Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

Hello,
Myself, husband and 10 month old will be in Portugal 15 nights at end of Sep to mid Oct. We rather not drive and with a baby figure we should stay minimum 3 mights at any place. Based on my research and reading others reviews I thought the following might work;
1) fly into Porto for 4 nights
-day trip to Guimaraes
-possibly day trip to Douro Region
2) train to Lisbon and then train to Sintra for 3 nights
3) train to Evora for 3 nights
-day trip to Megaliths
4) train to Lisbon for 5 nights (fly out of Lisbon)
-day trip to Belem
-possible day trip to Obidos

Does this sound like a nice overview to showcase Portugal to my husband?
Are there any other cities you'd suggest we stay at instead of Sintra and Evora and instead do these as day trips out of Lisbon?
Would Obidos be too complicated of a day trip from Lisbon? Any other day trips instead from Lisbon?
Should we rent a car or does the train sound like it makes sense for what we have in mind?
If we were to see 1 football game, who should we see?
Any help/tips are appreciated!

Posted by
1665 posts

Your itinerary sounds pretty good as you aren’t trying to do a number of 1-2 night stays. I don’t know about three nights in Sintra, though. It can be done easily as a day trip from Lisbon but a lot of people do like spending the night. I would imagine two nights would be enough.
Three nights in Evora sounds great. I did a two night stay my first trip and wished for another day and night. And, the Megalith tour is amazing. It’s still my favorite part of an Evora trip.
A day trip to Óbidos without a car will be a challenge. If you want to add another old town to your itinerary, you might consider Coimbra instead. It’s on the train line between Lisbon and Porto and is a very nice town.

Regarding a football game - go with which tickets you can get the fit with your itinerary.

Posted by
27091 posts

There are frequent buses from Lisboa-Campo Grande to Obidos; the trip seems to take only an hour. The buses are operated by Rodoviaria do Tejo. I don't see a way to access an English-language version of the website; clicking on "EN" near the top right isn't working for me. "Dias Uteis" is "workdays"; I'm not sure whether that includes Saturdays.

Trains (from Santa Apolonia Station) are less frequent and take more than twice as long.

Posted by
7658 posts

You have too many nights in Evora. You can see the city in one full day.
Also, Sintra is a one full day city as well.

Don't miss Obidos. Also, Batlia Cathedral is great. Cascais is nice.

When in Porto, look as staying at the InPatio Guesthouse. It is a wonderful B&B.

Posted by
6113 posts

I think you have the right number of nights for Evora, as the city itself will take a day and then there is the megaliths tour. Three nights is only two days there.

Although Obidos is interesting, it is overrun with tourists and places such as Tomar are more genuine.

Posted by
2 posts

I understand Sintra and Evora might not be the best places to spend 3 nights but we figure our 10 month old will be dictating our speed and what we could normally see in a day might now take 2 days!

We want to enjoy the cities we choose to sleep in and not just hurry through sightseeing.

But maybe we should just do Sintra as a day trip? And keep Evora for 3 nights?

We could replace Sintra with another 3 nighter but not sure what city then. We would want it to be a city with some sights to see, but also some culture like Porto and Lisbon. I thought fir sure Evora would fit that description but maybe not Sintra?

We could add a night in Porto for 5 nights and then add a day trip to Braga or Coimbra. And then add another 2 nights to Lisbon for 7 nights and see Sintra as a daytrip.

Will Obidos still be quite overrun with tourists in early October? Is Tomar easy to get to by public transport?

I will book the In Guesthouse in Porto. Any recommendations for Lisbon and Evora? I have read Baixa region is best for Lisbon.

Obrigado!!

My family is from St. Jorge de Beira near Fundao but no family is still alive to visit.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello meditaranean,

It's great you're coming to Portugal for 2 weeks - I'm sure you'll have a great time ;)

Don't leave out Sintra - in my opinion, it's one of the most beautiful towns in Portugal (listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its cultural landscape); a day trip wouldn't make justice to this place since there are many places you can visit like Pena National Palace, Pena Park, Sintra National Palace, Quinta da Regaleira... just to name a few. The only downside of this place is that it's touristy (don't know how it is in October though).

Tomar is another beautiful town with its small but charming historic centre and the amazing castle and convent of Christ built by the Knights Templar (also UNESCO's World Heritage) - if you rent a car, it'll take you about 1h30m to get to Tomar; by train is a guarantee that it'll take you longer than that - going there might be a challenge but definitely worth it ;)

All in all, I believe you have a very good itinerary there - if I had to change a destination, it would be Óbidos for Tomar ;)

Enjoy Portugal :)

Posted by
7658 posts

Obidos does load up with tourists, but I have been there twice and loved it. You can walk the city and its ancient Roman walls in a couple of hours. Don't be put off because of the crowds.

Sorry, three days in Evora is too much. You can do the city on a day trip from Lisbon, just take the train.

Sintra did not seem like a town that had many hotels. Not sure where you would stay for three days if you wanted to. The old Royal Palace is there as well as the palace on top of the hill. Look for tours from Lisbon. I you want to rent a car to go from Lisbon to Porto, you could stop in Sintra, then find a hotel on your way north.