Please sign in to post.

Itinerary for 13 days

Thank you in advance for any suggestions provided. Flying in and out of Lisbon in middle of June. I thought we would do four nights in Lisbon and three-four nights in Porto. But how to fill the time in between? Rent a car? If renting a car after Lisbon are there rental companies in the city or is it best to travel to airport to get car? return flight is at 12:45 pm if we end up in Porto is there a train or bus that would get us to airport in the AM, or necessary to spend overnight in or near Lisbon? Thank you again

Posted by
85 posts

I don't feel that you really need to rent a car in Portugal. They have an excellent public transportation system of buses and trains.
When we went , we stayed In Lisbon and took day trips to Sintra, Obidos, Evora. We then took a high speed train to Porto and while we were in Porto took the high speed train to Coimbra as a day trip. We took the train back from Porto to Lisbon the night before we had to go the airport.

Posted by
41 posts

We had a rental car last June to go to Lagos, Viseu and Praia de Leira. If doing Lisbon and Porto then no car is necessary. In fact, we parked our rental car at train parking garage in Via Nova de Gaia for 3 days. (? General Torres station)

Do train, bus or day tours from base of Lisbon or base of Porto. Spend 1-2 nights in Sintra or Evora (reachable by train). Beach time is easy in Cascais from Lisbon (train) or at mouth of Douro River in Porto (tram, bike or walk). Spend 1-2 nights in Douro Valley or Braga. Taxis and Ubers are cheap and easy to use in Lisbon and Porto.

I recommend you look at the festival schedule for Lisbon and Porto and plan accordingly if you would like to participate in festival or avoid festival. If I go again in June I will make sure to stay overnight in Porto during their St. John festival on June 23. In Lisbon there are many festivals for St. Anthony and St. John throughout the month of June. We could find festival activities if we wanted (street parties at night in Alfama for ex) and did not have to avoid areas due to the festivals.

Happy Planning!

Posted by
1694 posts

Don’t try to travel from Porto back to Lisbon with a 12:45 flight. The train is 4 hours. You could start your trip in Porto and end up in Lisbon for your flight. No need to stay at the airport as travel time to downtown is short.

Posted by
4 posts

We just got back. We spent 4 nights in Lisbon and two in Porto but wish we had reversed that. We rented a car as we left Lisbon and loved having it. We spent two nights in the Douro Valley which we absolutely loved. The scenery is jaw dropping, no crowds, and had some amazing wine/food tasting experiences in family owned vineyards. Driving back to Lisbon for our flight after Douro Valley, we stopped in Lamego to visit the Cathedral and a beautiful Marian shrine. Well worth the visit.

Posted by
1514 posts

You might think about going directly to Porto and ending in Lisbon. If you take the train to Porto you can spend three or four nights there. Depending on your interests you could spend some time in the Douro Valley if you don’t go as a day trip from Porto, Coimbra, or Nazare (possible day trips to Alcobaca, Coimbra, Conimbriga Roman ruins), working your way down to Lisbon. Then you can spend your last days in Portugal in Lisbon with easy access to the airport. I would definitely not try to arrive on the day of your flight.

We have always rented a car in Portugal so I have no advice on public transportation between towns. Others have advice on how to get around.

Have a great trip!