Please sign in to post.

Iternery Check July 2018

9 days or can be 10 in Portugal

1-Faro, 2-Lagos, 1-Evora, 3-Lisbon, 1-Coimbra, 1 or 2- Porto and Duoro Valley.
We will have a car . And I have written down all the day trips too from the travellers.

Posted by
1669 posts

For a 9-10 day trip, you are trying to cover too much ground IMO. I encourage you to choose two - either drop the Algarve or Porto. My least favorite area is the Algarve so my preference would be spending the entire time in Lisbon and Porto with Evora and Coimbra possible additions. Only 1-2 days in Porto would not give you quality time there - and you could not do the Douro at all.
I realize the temptation to cover as much as possible, but cutting down the number of moves will greatly enhance your enjoyment of this lovely country.

Posted by
6113 posts

I agree with Kathryn that you should drop the Algarve. There isn't much to see in Faro, but its airport is the gateway to the Algarve. Places will be busy in July and most places want 7/14 day visitors, not 2 nights.

Posted by
107 posts

Thank you ok Faro and Lagos out and more time in Porto. How about 3 Lisbon, 3 Porto, 1 Evora, 1 Coimbra-- this sound better?

Posted by
1669 posts

Much better! Get as early a start as possible for your trips to Evora and Coimbra. And, you don’t really need a car for this itinerary. Trains are good and very inexpensive if you book ahead. I’m going to Porto next month and the ticket round trip was €52 for first class.

When in Coimbra, Go Walks is a very good tour company with very good prices. And in Evora, there is a tour of the Megaliths outside of town that is wonderful. If you can fit it in, it’s definitely worth the time and money.