Please sign in to post.

Ice for cooler

Can we find bags of ice at grocery or convenience stores for use in a cooler bag?
Doing a 3 week road trip and enjoy a frosty beverage as we drive :)

Posted by
6788 posts

In larger grocery stores yes, IME you can usually find bagged ice. In smaller shops, rarely if ever. It certainly won't be as ubiquitous as you're used to finding from home but can be found in some places (especially in larger towns with larger stores). When you're out in small towns, not so much.

Posted by
23245 posts

You can find the ice. But I would be very careful enjoying the beverage while driving. Drinking and driving laws in Europe have a much lower tolerance level than in the US. I would not do it.

Posted by
6788 posts

Good point. I assume everyone knows that by now but it's worth repeating.

Posted by
233 posts

Carolyn, you find it at gas stations. Don´t need to bother looking for a supermarket. Price is the same, 1 euro (for a lot of ice, don't know exactly the quantity, but it is a big bag).

Posted by
15579 posts

Carolyn, mine too. What I often do is ask my hotel to put one or two 0.5 liter bottles of water (not completely filled !!) in their freezer overnight. That keeps the other drinks and snacks cold all day in the cooler bag, and as it melts, instead of a mess you'll have another cold drink.

Now that I've shared my tip, will you share your itinerary? Portugal is my next destination and while I don't plan to have a car for 3 weeks, I'm not averse to renting one for part of the trip.

Posted by
23245 posts

Somehow, I have never associated the language of a frosty beverage with diet coke or any coke for that manner.

Posted by
446 posts

Thanks everyone!
Helena I am happy to learn that ice is available at gas stations.
Nice tip Chani. When are you going to Portugal? I will PM you.

Posted by
4152 posts

Two tips:

1. The "diet" Coke you get in Portugal may not be or taste the same as what you find in the US.

2. The amount of diet Coke you drink while driving may turn out to be directly related to the availability of toilets along your route.

Just sayin'.

Posted by
446 posts

We're back from the Portugal road trip. We did indeed find bags of ice (gelitos) at gas stations and grocery stores. Priced from €1.99 to 2.49. And yes international formulas of soft drinks do vary but aren't very noticeable after years of European travel. Husband is always on the lookout for the elusive Dr. Pepper though. LOL

Posted by
4300 posts

@Frank I have never associated "frosty beverage" with anything other than Coke. Who knew there were other beverages?

Posted by
23245 posts

Must be a southern thing. No self-respecting undergraduate students (in the north) would confuse a frosty beverage with a coke.

Posted by
446 posts

Frank it's a non-alcoholic thing. :)
Priscilla I am planning to do a trip report soon.