Please sign in to post.

I need some tips for a one month trip to Portugal in September 2023

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Portugal with my husband for the month of September. We have one month to spend there and we want to basically stay in Lisbon, and then drive south to Algarve. My husband is Fluent in Portuguese and I am fluent in Spanish. I have been reading about Lagos and Albufeira in Faro, Evora etc.. We are looking for a city to stay in the Algarve area that is lively with lots to see, and with beautiful beaches and a night life, that we can take day trips from. We love music, the beach, dancing, and just walking amongst the people that are in the area we are staying in. If you can give me any tips I would appreciate it. Also recommendations for Hotels or Posadas in these areas al well as in Lisbon would be greatly appreciated. We will not have a car in Lisbon but feel like we should rent one when we travel south. Is there a problem parking a car in the towns in Algarve? That is something I have been thinking about. Any tips on any of these subjects would be great. We had planned to go to Portugal last year but there were fires last summer and we decided two forego that trip.
Thank you,
Marlene

Posted by
1676 posts

Lagos has the things you mention and is pretty much in the middle of the area. Day trips are easy to the west coast and, if you use the toll road, to the east. You also might take a look at Tavira. It’s quite close to Spain so day trips across the border would be easy. Parking is fairly easy in the parts of the Algarve I’ve visited. And, you are very smart to not have one in Lisbon.

Evora is in the Alentejo - not Algarve. It will also still be very hot in September. It’s lovely, though. So, if a cool spell happens, a visit would be good.

BTW - the Portuguese people don’t appreciate visitors trying to communicate in Spanish. Let your spouse do the talking. That said, you will find English very widely spoken in both areas.