Please sign in to post.

Hotel before March 19 2025 Heart of Portugal Tour

I am arriving early, maybe a week ... and starting to pick a place to stay. In Dublin, I stayed at Zanzibar Locke, in a little apartment, with a small kitchen, and there was laundry, and a very secure building with 24 hour staff. I really liked the setup. They just opened one in Lisbon ... Locke de Santa Joana, R. Camilo Castelo Branco 18, 1150-084 Lisboa, Portugal ......... but the location seems kind of removed from where most people discuss staying .. near Parque Eduardo VII . Has anyone ever stayed that far away from 'the action'. (for example, the current tour hotel is My Story Hotel Tejo).

I haven't totally figured out my plan yet ... if I stay the whole tie in Lisbon, I will take day trips to see Sintra, Cascais, etc. Or, I may stay a few days out that way. Quickly reading about those options.

Note: as a solo traveler, I like having a 24 hour desk, although I have not always had that.

Thanks for any insights.

Posted by
7866 posts

It really is not that bad a location. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express somewhat near there. It was a walk to the city center, but look to the metro for some jumps, and to be honest, since Uber/Bolt is so cheap, you can get anywhere quick. I am a person that rarely uses cabs or ride services, but in Lisbon and Porto, we use them like public transport. If you will have a phone with data, then you can quickly search you options, take Metro, Bus, or Bolt, or a mix, to just about anyplace.

Posted by
2967 posts

I did a solo trip to Lisbon earlier this year and I stayed at the Hotel Santa Justa. I really liked being able to walk everywhere. As a solo traveler, location is one of the most important factors I look at when selecting a hotel. I want to easily get to and from the airport, get to the trains/trams for day trips, and walk to most sights. I like to get out early and walk and I would not want to waste time having to take the metro or bolt to get everywhere.

You may find my trip report helpful:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/solo-in-lisbon-portugal-my-trip-report

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks Paul ...  good information.Carrie, will take a look at your report, thanks!   Also took a look at your hotel, and it is maybe more than I want to pay.  Looks very nice though.  I have added it to my list though.