Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

I am planning a 2 week trip to Portugal for late April/early May. We will meet with friends for the last 10 days to visit Obidos, Porto, Douro Valley, Evora and Lisbon (this part of the trip is already planned). We have 3 days alone to relax and explore on our own before we meet up with our friends. We like history, wine, wildlife/hiking and exploring and will have a car. Thinking about Alentejo and visiting hill towns. Any advice about where to base ourselves and best towns/areas to explore? I would also appreciate advice on accommodations. Pousadas in this area? Farm stays?

Posted by
80 posts

Hello dgbcarolin,

It's great you're coming to Portugal ;)

Well, it all depends on where you're going to stay before you meet up with your friends... Here are my suggestions of places to visit by region:

• Northern Portugal: Guimarães (birthplace of Portugal and UNESCO's World Heritage Site), Braga (some beautiful religious places to visit if you like that), Viana do Castelo (beautiful historic centre and amazing basilica), Peneda-Gerês National Park (great for hiking, beautiful landscape and wildlife);
  • Central Portugal: Coimbra (beautiful historic centre and uptown - some listed as UNESCO's World Heritage), Piódão (Portuguese historic village with a beautiful scenery and hiking trails), Tomar (beautiful historic centre and amazing castle and convent listed as UNESCO's World Heritage as well);
  • Alentejo: Elvas (the biggest fortified city in Europe, listed as UNESCO's World Heritage), Marvão (fortified village, beautiful castle and a natural viewpoint with amazing views), Costa Vicentina (amazing natural park with some of the best hiking trails in Europe, close to the coastline - you can admire beaches, cliffs, villages, fauna and flora);
  • Algarve: Costa Vicentina (this natural park stretches from Alentejo to Algarve - visit Cape St. Vincent, Sagres...), Lagos (beautiful historic centre), Silves (old town with beautiful castle built by the Moorish)

These are just "some ideas"... I didn't mention the must see Sintra, for example, since I figure you're going there with your friends...

Enjoy your trip and enjoy Portugal ;)

Posted by
160 posts

Coimbra is on the way and is a nice town. I loved visiting conimbriga- the nearby Roman ruins. It’s an easy bus ride from Coimbra.

Posted by
1 posts

You probably have your itinerary by now, but wanted to put in my two cents. My husband and I love Setubal. Great place for wine tours and nature as you will be in the Arrabida hills. Anadia also has great wineries and a wine museum. Also great views.