Please sign in to post.

Help with 24 nights in Portugal May 3-28, 2020

Hello-

I posted a few months ago when I was just starting to plan- now I have dates and purchased flights last night. Couldn’t pass up the excellent price I got.

Here is my earlier post for more info about us:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/portugal/21-night-trip-itinerary-early-planning-for-2020

I need some help/advice for part of this trip and have some questions

The plan so far:

Sun 5/3 Fly EWR to LIS- arriving 8 am

Sintra 2 nights
Mon, Tues 5/4, 5/5
Wed 5/6 Plan to visit Quinta da Regaleira in the am then

Afternoon train to:
Lisbon 4 nights
Wed 5/6 pm, Thurs 5/7, Fri 5/8, Sat 5/9
*Is Friday best day for Belem sights?

Sun 5/10 Pick up car- drive to:
Evora 3 nights
Sun 5/10, Mon 5/11, Tues 5/12
-will do guided tour of Almendres Cromlech and a day trip to Monsaraz

Wed 5/13 Drive to:
Sao Martinho do Porto 3 nights- apartment/laundry
Wed 5/13, Thurs 5/14, Fri 5/15
Visit Obidos, Alcobaca, Nazare/Sitio, Caldas da Rainha

Sat 5/16 Drive to:
Tomar- 2 nights
Sat 5/16, Sun 5/17
Visit Batalha, etc on the way

Mon 5/18 Drive to:
Coimbra- 3 nights
Mon 5/18, Tues 5/19, Wed 5/20

Here is where I am stuck
*Would really like to do guided day trip to Schist Villages from Coimbra- if not maybe drop a night here?
Was going to drop car in Coimbra but we now have more nights to play with so think we should keep it

**I have 4 nights here to do something with!
Thurs 5/21, Fri 5/22, Sat 5/23, Sun 5/24

Then ending in
Porto 3 nights
Mon 5/25, Tues 5/26, Wed 5/27

Thurs 5/28
Fly home OPO to EWR

We are not interested in Algarve and not really interested in Douro Valley unless it is highly recommend for something other than scenery and wine tasting!
Lamego looks nice but I just don’t see the attraction of Regua or Pinhao other than a stop along the way.
Aveiro still looks inviting for a 1 night stop.
I am also looking at Guimaraes, Braga, Ponte de Lima, Viano de Castelano, etc.

If we keep the car and drive north
Options:
Drive to Lamego for 1 night then to Guimaraes- for 3 nights with car- do days trips.
Or Lamego for 2 nights, Guimaraes for 2 (probably no day trips)
Drive to Aveiro for 1 night then on to Guimaraes for 3 nights

OR
4) Drive to Guimaraes for 4 nights

We will either leave car in Guimarares and train from Guimaraes to Porto or just drive to Porto on Mon 5/25.

** Would you add this northern portion of 4 nights or would you add more days to our other locations?
** Would you stay in Guimaraes or is Braga or another town a better choice?
** Any recommended lodgings for Lamego, Guimaraes or other?

As always thanks for reading and for any suggestions!

Posted by
11131 posts

We loved Portugal and our favourite region was the Minho, north and west of Porto. We based in historic Guimares and recommend that option. Your earlier itinerary is similar to ours but we skipped Tomar. We had lunch in Aviero which was a good plan. We stayed in the Pousada in the center of Guimares which I think is gone now. There was another one just outside of town.We did a day boat trip up the Douro and were the only English speakers. Very nice boat but scenery got boring, terraced vineyards all along the route.
Our favourite site in Sintra was the 15th c. National Palace in town with it's beautiful tile work.
We thought Alcobaça was very impressive. The Royal tombs are there; google the story of King Pedro and his Inés. We stayed where they had their liaisons in Coimbra, La Quinta de Las Lagrimas. Very nice hotel with a wonderful dining room.
We got our car as we left Lisbon, turned it in at the airport when we got to Porto. Later took a cab across the Spanish border to get a rental car for Spain and continued our trip in Galicia and northern Spain. Enjoy Portugal!

Posted by
6883 posts

My two cents:
- your trip is at a relaxed pace, you have time and I would head north of Porto, and Guimarães is a good place to stay! Good for day trips too (eg Braga).
- you can go to Belém whatever day, and it's more of a half-day really unless you add Ajuda palace (Belém tower is best looked at from outside, Jerónimos monastery is beautiful but empty, and Archeology and Navy museums are skippable)

Posted by
1599 posts

I would visit the Coach Museum in Belem. Also, take the elevator to the top of the Discoveries Monument in Belem. The view is spectacular! And there weren't any lines. There will be lines at the Belem Tower.

Perhaps you could add a night to Lisbon so that you could visit Cascais as a day trip from Lisbon. We stopped in Cascais briefly on a bus tour. We liked what little we saw and wished we had more time there.

Posted by
7642 posts

I suggest reducing you time in Evora by one day and add a day from Porto to take the train up the Douro River Valley.
I have traveled all over Europe and seen scenic river valleys like the Mosel, Danube, Rhein and Rhone, but the Douro beats them all. It is amazing.

Also, if you can book the In Patio Guesthouse in Porto, it is the BEST B&B we have ever stayed in.

Posted by
61 posts

Visit Braga - mainly Bom Jesus do Monte; plan to stay near the church (there are 4 hotels). Amazing.

Posted by
6015 posts

Thanks everyone.

We’ve decided to skip Tomar and have added Braga and Lamego. Wanted to stay in Guimaraes but lodgings with parking/easy access are quite limited there. (Dropping car in Guimaraes is not an option anyway- super expensive drop off fee!)
Braga is not much better but I did find a place that will work- have to head up to Braga after Coimbra though- seems there might be some big event in Braga over that weekend as so many places already completely booked?

Sampa-
The hotels up near Bom Jesus are not accepting reservations for 2020 yet - I like the look of those hotels but am concerned it will be too much of a trek to go in and out of town each evening. We will definitely visit the church.

kmkwoo-
Belem- the only sight we had planned to actually enter is the Coach Museum so we may be able to add a trip to Caiscas after that- we’ll see.

geovgriffith- An all day boat trip is not our thing- we’ve done those on Danube, Rhein etc and while we’ve enjoyed well enough we found them to be so very monotonous and a bit pricey! We’ll do a short drive from Regua to Pinhao then probably a 1 hour boat ride from there. Unfortunately the little steam train doesn’t start running til June.
You will be happy to know I have booked InPatio for 4 nights- a little out of our budget but I see nothing but good reviews so we’ll splurge a bit!

So this is what we have planned now:

Sintra- 2
Lisbon- 4
Pick up car as we leave, drive to
Evora- 3
Sao Marthinho- 3
Coimbra- 3
Braga- 3
Lamego- 2
Drive to OPO drop car
Porto 4- possible day trip to Aveiro

Would have preferred Coimbra>>Lamego>>Braga>>Porto but I think this will still be OK.

Thanks again!