Please sign in to post.

Help! Early Planning June 2022 w/ kids

Hello, we’ve started to look into visiting Portugal next June with our 3 children. They will be ages 10, 7 and 4 at the time of travel. We’ve traveled to Europe with kids before and know that we prefer a slower place. We’d ideally like to start in Lisbon and end our trip with a few days at a resort in the Algavre region (specific area/resort tbd).

I’m looking for some help and a insight as to how best fill in the middle of our trip. Also, once we leave Lisbon should we plan on renting a car? Here is a rough outline of my initial plan:

Day 1: Arrive in Lisbon, low expectations of doing much

Day2: Lisbon

Day3: Lisbon

Day4: Lisbon

Day5: Sinatra (day trip)

Day6: ?

Day 7: ?

Day 8: ?

Day 9: ? Travel to Algavre

Day 10: Algavre

Day 11: Algavre

Day 12: Algavre

Day 13: Algavre >>> drive to Lisbon and stay near airport. Anywhere to stop along the way?

Day 14: Depart for US from Lisbon.

Any help or insight would be most appreciated. I’ve started to feel overwhelmed with my research. Thank you!

Posted by
1778 posts

You might want to look at the Silver Coast area north of Lisbon. Obidos, Alcobaça and Batalha might be interesting to children and there are many small beach towns that are attractive. I would not suggest the Alentejo because it will be too hot by then. Or, you could stay a couple of nights in Sintra. The palaces and Quinta de Reguleira would be interesting to children.

You wouldn’t want a car in Sintra, especially if tourism is back in full force, but would need one for the Silver Coast area and the Algarve.