Please sign in to post.

Getting from Porto to Madrid

I'll be spending a few days in Porto in July and then heading toward Madrid. Is it possible to take a train or boat into the Douro Valley somewhere and then continue into Spain from wherever that is? Rather than just go from Porto to Madrid, I'd like to see something in between, but they seem to make it difficult! Thanks for wisdom and ideas!

Posted by
16893 posts

Is it possible to take a train or boat into the Douro Valley somewhere and then continue into Spain from wherever that is?

Only by bus and probably not with a good selection of service. Try www.rome2rio.com or www.busbud.com to explore various private bus operators. Schedules may not be confirmed very far ahead.

Otherwise, fly or take the once daily overnight train from Coimbra to Madrid. Driving gets quite expensive if you don't drop a rental car within the same country that you acquired it.

See train routes summarized at https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/spain-rail-passes.

Posted by
5687 posts

Take a day trip to the Douro Valley, then go back to Porto in the evening and fly to Madrid. It will be a lot faster and possibly cheaper. There are lots of direct flights between the two cities so you should find some competitive fares if you book early enough.

Posted by
3961 posts

I agree with Andrew's plan. We flew from Porto to Madrid a few years ago on TAP Air. I recall we purchased our tickets well ahead and it was reasonable. €38 per ticket. It was a pleasant flight.
Enjoy Portugal & Spain!

Posted by
7548 posts

Yeah, for two countries on the same peninsula, land transport (except for driving) is almost non-existent.

Posted by
3961 posts

So glad to hear you booked your flight! Tenha um bom vôo!