Please sign in to post.

Funchal, Madeira Islands

Has anyone been to Funchal, the port city of the Madeira Islands? It's one of our stops on a transatlantic cruise in October. Any advice on what to see or do there? (I also posted this in the General Europe forum.)

Posted by
330 posts

Just came back from a four day stay in Funchal. We stayed at a resort, but did the following:
Old town was lovely. Enjoyed walking the narrow lanes and seeing the beautiful painted doors.
Cable car up to Monte. We went to the Monte Tropical Gardens and the church that is up there. Even my 15 year old son enjoyed the gardens. (There is another garden up there called the Botanical Garden- didn't go there.). We took the cable car as a round trip. Only way back down is a taxi or ride in a "basket" sleigh ride. They weren't running when we were there. Very expensive buy the look of it (signs).
My son is a BIG Cristiano Ronaldo fan. Going to see his statue(by the wharf) and to his museum was a must!
We didn't have a car, so we hired a taxi for around 50 euros. He took us to different viewpoints. One, which I can't remember the name, was a lookout over the cliffs where the walkway was made of clear Plexiglas.
Great restaurants and gelato! Try the local fish with the bananas. It was delicious!

I really wanted to stay longer.
I had found some half and full day tours prior to our departure. I would have taken the one that goes to Santana, I think it was called the Eastern Tour. They also had walking tours in the old canals up in the mountains. I think they are called levadas. Trip advisor had some reviews on different tour companies. We just ran out of time for tours, but next time we will.
Enjoy your holiday!

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you, Olga, for the info. It's very helpful. I'm interested in the cable car up to Monte, seeing the church, and taking the toboggan back down; it's one of the shore excursions.

Posted by
330 posts

Ron, have a wonderful time. Most of the restaurants we went to where about a 30 minute walk from the cable car (closer to our hotel). There is a street right behind the cable car , you'll see some of the painted doorways. We walked to the right and then turn into the next little alley way of doorways (behind the first street) and restaurants. We weren't hungry at that moment, but all the smells and what dishes I saw people eating looked amazing. Really nice and friendly locals.