Please sign in to post.

First timer Portugal Christmas 2019 assistance

I've signed up for a tour of Portugal that starts and ends in Lisbon, Dec. 14-22. The tour will include Nazare, Obidos, Tomar, Coimbra, Porto and Evora. I arrive on the 13th and depart on the 25th and consider this a "fact-finding" trip to learn a little about a country I know absolutely nothing about! I'm looking for recommendations for the days I'm not on tour and feedback on what I think I'll do for those days (tour starts with dinner on the 14th). Appreciate recommendations that might include places that would be quieter or at least comments on what to expect regarding how crowded areas might be (don't like crowds too much). I will only be using public transportation and I am a solo, 55+ female traveler. I can do some short walks (especially along the water), not big into museums (1-2 ok), love the ocean, small towns, beautiful buildings, amateur photography, and just taking in everything that is new to me. Here is what I was thinking:

• Dec. 13 - stay in Lisbon near Rossio Square as this area won't be covered on the tour
  • Dec. 22-24 - stay in Sintra (where is best location for hotel?)
  • Dec. 24-25 - stay in Cascais as close to ocean as possible

Will there be public transport options from Sintra to Cascais on Dec. 24th? How about getting from Cascais to Lisbon airport for a 12pm departure on the 25th? I'm Ok with a taxi if I must, but do want to keep within a budget. Hotel recommendations are appreciated as well. Again, on a budget but also want a nice place with possible views (around $100 night is OK). Also, how about dining options on Christmas Eve? Do you recommend someplace else besides/instead of Sintra and/or Cascais? I love planning so jumping on this early. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Posted by
1665 posts

The buses between Cascais and Sintra will be running every day, but be aware both routes are pretty slow. 417 is the faster route but 403 is much more scenic. I would recommend taking the 403, if you are just making the trip once.

Your best bet for accommodation in Cascais under 100€ is a vacation rental but I’m not certain you will find anything for just one night. If you want to stay close to the sea, you might consider staying in Cascais all of your extra nights and visiting Sintra on day trips. If you stay in Sintra, stay as close to downtown as possible. The buses in Sintra are very packed, so plan to use them as little as possible.

Dining on Christmas Eve might be a challenge as a lot of restaurants close after lunch that day. Christmas Eve is the bigger celebration for most Portuguese. You would be able to find Indian restaurants open, though.

Getting to the airport from Cascais is very doable for a noon departure, especially since it’s a holiday so there will be little traffic. Uber is big here and costs around 32€. Taxis are also plentiful and would likely be closer to 40€. You can do public transport using the train to Lisbon then the metro. But, it’s about a two hour trip.