Please sign in to post.

First time in Portugal...2/20-2/24...what area is good to stay?

We are coming to Lisbon on 2/20 and leaving 2/24...looking for an apartment in a nice area for doing touristy stuff...someplace centrally located and convenient. I have been looking at places in Alfama, Avenida da Liberdade and Baixa so far, and I am not sure what area puts us in the best location to hit the main highlights of Lisbon and also be in a nice area to stay.

Any thoughts? We are two people in our early 60's plus one mid-70's.

Posted by
1654 posts

It really depends on how good you are in climbing hills! Chiado would be my pick but you will have hills to climb when you walk out your door! Chiado has the better restaurants and shopping IMO, but Baixa is flatter - If you don't want to deal with the hills all the time. Alfama is lovely but it's not my pick - both for the hills and older buIldings, etc. Avenida da Liberdade puts you in the expensive shopping district. It's flat but wouldn't be my choice.
Bottom line IMO - Chiado if you can handle the hills - Baixa if you want a flatter area. There is a Baixa/Chiado metro station from which you can get most places in town. Escalators take you up and down the hill between the two areas.