I booked this trip for 2 of us quite some time ago and am now finalizing the itinerary and could use some input from previous travelers. Currently I have the below:
1. Arrive in Lisbon Sept 22nd - stay 4 nights (Sintra day trip) and tour Lisbon
2. Drive to Algarve Sept 26th and stay 3 nights (Sagres, Lagos Area)
3. Drive to Evora stay Sept 29th (tour Evora) - hotel ADC
4. Drive to Coimbra Sept 30 for 2 nights - staying Hotel Oslo - visit university library & area
5. Drive to Duoro Valley and stay 2 nights (Oct 2nd/3rd) - wine tours and enjoy Duoro river
6. Drive to Porto - drop car - stay in Porto 3 nights (tour Porto) - depart Oct 7th
We enjoy good local food & entertainment, historic - must see places and traditions of places we visit, nature and scenery - especially waterfront areas. Museums are not top on list.
I am a bit reluctant about my accommodation and location of staying in Coimbra but know that we need a driving break somewhere in there before getting to the Duoro Valley. We like to stay in nice places with A/C perhaps balcony and nice view (breakfast and parking required) - does not have to be a big hotel. In Duoro Valley we are staying in Casa de Canilhas House.
Obidos and Nazare, Tomar is on our list but am not sure if there is a more central location to stay to see Coimbra and those within our current itinerary. Much appreciate comments from the forum.