Please sign in to post.

Fado in Lisbon

Can anyone recommend a good Fado dinner show? We are staying near Praca da Figueira and ideally hoping to do this our first night in Lisbon, so preferably one that starts early, doesn't go on for hours, and isn't a long distance to get back to our hotel. Highly recommended Ofaia is booked for all the dates we are in Lisbon, May 4-7 & May 16. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
55 posts

Kim,
My wife and I have been to Lisbon 4 times since 2016 and each time we have promised to treat ourselves to a night out of Fado
And we have never succeeded.
Every local we got to know insisted that the only REAL Fado starts at 11 PM at the very earliest.
At any place advertising and early dinner and Fado you will find yourself surrounded by tourists such as yourself. As I was in my late 60's by our first visit and not a night owl since my wild days back in the 1970's, we decided (each time) to just go back to our flat and get a good night's sleep.
If you are younger and more prone to late nights you will have no shortage of venues to choose from.
Otherwise, I am sure the hotel can recommend the place they steer all their guests to.

Dennis and Elinore

Posted by
741 posts

We went to a cafe in Coimbra in the daytime and they had Fado there. Not helpful to your question, but you are right about “doesn’t go on for hours”. A half hour is sufficient. At the cafe we could leave anytime, but in a dinner show you may feel trapped. I did not think Fado was something for me. It is not like Flamenco where it has the dancing and is more snappy. I would say it is akin to an oompah band in Germany. Ok, but as background music.

Posted by
1322 posts

Back in 2015, I enjoyed a fado show with dinner at Sr. Vinho Fado, which was recommended by my guesthouse hosts.

https://www.srvinho.com/en/

Frankly, it was probably a place for tourists, but that is what you are. Go, enjoy. This particular show was about an hour long during dinner. The food was excellent. One thing about fado in Lisbon, it is usually sung by females. Fado in Coimbra sung by males. To each their own, but I liked the male voices in Coimbra better. That show did not include dinner but it was very melodic and theatrical. There is so much passion shown while performing fado. Hope this helps a little bit (or maybe I’ve confused you with my other suggestion). 😬