Please sign in to post.

Fado in Lisbon

Can anyone recommend a dinner & Fado restaurant in Lisbon?

Posted by
11500 posts

We found that Fado was performed late at night, way past even European dining time.

Posted by
396 posts

We happened across Duque da Rua (https://duquedarua.pt/) at R. do Duque 23, 1200-158. Smaller place, mostly locals. They have a full menu. Fado did start later in the evening but they were still serving food and drinks. I’m cannot remember if they had their full menu going that late but we were hungry and we ordered a few rounds of really good tapas and appetizers (and wine). We thoroughly enjoyed our night there.

Posted by
95 posts

There was a post by Renee on 5.9.24 that asked the same question and got replies on this. Check it out?

Posted by
127 posts

Although the Spanish word "tapas" has become popular in Portugal, the Portuguese word for small serving's is petiscos.
Regarding fado shows in Lisbon, there are many good choices. Rick's guide has several good recommendations. Any of these shows will be authentic, regardless of the proportion of locals in the audience. In my opinion, the best setting is a small club where the musicians perform without amplification. Dinner and a show in a fado club is going to be more expensive than simple dinner alone to provide some compensation for the musicians.

Posted by
91 posts

Echoing Jay MN’s recommendation. Before my trip, I had seen the recommendation here from Blue439 for Duque da Rua. It sounded just like the kind of place Rick would like. I have to wonder if lots of great places are not in his books because they simply could not handle it. The place seemed to be owner run, was cozy and laid-back. We stayed for two sets of fado and enjoyed it. We had two men and two women. A few songs were sung together. The owner said the singers were not professionals but that did not matter one bit to me. I made a reservation for 20:00 a few days ahead by email. When we left around 21:30 there was a line of people hoping to get in. We only ordered drinks, but they had some pestiscos that many were ordering. Cash only. We stayed in this neighborhood and loved it.