Please sign in to post.

Evora, Portugal

We would appreciate recommendations for moderately priced restaurants in Evora. We like most food(s) and are always looking for 'an experience' = great atmosphere, wonderful food, local entertainment and so on. We would appreciate your referrals.

Posted by
372 posts

We loved Taberna Típica Quarta-feira. You MUST reserve in advance. Note there is no "choice" as to what you eat - you eat what they are cooking that day. This was a real experience - Grandma and Grandpa cooking, their son is the maitre de and grandaughter busses tables etc. Food was simple, yet amazing. I don't recall it being overly expensive, there were several courses. We loved it all! I seem to recall there were only 2 seatings per night. Several guests were turned away at the door as they were full for both seatings.

Posted by
387 posts

I was just in Evora this summer and enjoyed the restaurant Pateo. The food was very good and reasonably priced. Not sure if there is entertainment, but it's in a nice patio just off the main drag. Good drinks as well.

Posted by
18 posts

We had a very memorable and delicious meal at Boutequim da Mouraria when we were in Evora. It's very small and in 2017 you had to stand in line about 15 minutes before it opened to get a seat. So delicious and so fun to watch everything being prepared from our perch at the bar. We also loved Taberna Tipica Quarta-Fereira as mentioned above.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
Boutequim da Mouraria. When we there this place sat 10 people. Period. No second seating. Get there more than 15 minutes before opening. You probably will only get one chance to get in. If you show up too late, you are too late.

Great food. The 10 of you will become eating companions. Don't worry about the price. This is food and a show. memorable, food, people, evening. Don't scrimp. Sit back and enjoy. Share a bottle of wine.

We went to four places on four different nights that were highly recommended. Boutequim da Mouraria is THE place to go. I had such a good time I forgot to collect my gloves and scarf. C'est la vie

wayne inWI

Posted by
7 posts

We loved the food in Evora! We just returned from five weeks traveling thru Portugal and agreed that the best meals we had were in Evora. Amazing. We went to all of these places at lunchtime, right after they opened, which was usually about 12:30. we were able to get a table at all without difficulty or reservation. Shortly after, maybe 1-1:30 they were all full and turning folks away who did not have reservations. As lunch was our big meal of the day, we normally did appetizers, meal, dessert, and a bottle of wine-usually spending between 40-50 euros. We highly recommend Pateo- the food was amazing, wonderful family run and we left on a first-name basis with the owner and his nephew, our waiter. For very traditional Portuguese food we loved O Garfo. The owner had received negative reviews for being gruff, but we had no difficulties and he showed off his sommelier awards and sword happily. I think my husband posted a review and pic on google reviews. We ate twice at Vinho e Nos. Again, the family-run, Richardo runs the floor, and mom and dad are in the back cooking. They grow many of the vegetables and fruits used in the restaurant at their farm. We also left this restaurant with a handshake and hugs. We were enchanted with all of these.