Please sign in to post.

Evora

Hello! We are thinking of spending one night in Evora, after our visit to Lisbon. Any hotel/airbnb recommendations and favorite places to eat? Thanks!

Posted by
7328 posts

Dinner: at the Evora Pousada, no question. The poshest place in town, best atmosphere, unbeatable dinner.

Now, we were there 20 whole years ago, but stick with the best and you won’t go wrong. As far as a place to stay, our place was inexpensive, and uncomfortably hot. Don’t know if it’s still operating, or if they’ve installed air conditioning and improved the situation, and I don’t recall the name, so I can’t give you a reliable suggestion for lodging.

But for dinner, the Pousada is unquestionably the place.

Posted by
11131 posts

I second the Pousada Convento de Evora. We loved staying there as it is an historic property. Rooms are simple in this convent setting, and the dining was excellent. Nice pool too. One of the favorite places we stayed on our trip to Portugal.
We did not want to leave!

Posted by
36 posts

Olá! We were recently in Evora and enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Lombardo — a small restaurant run by a lovely young couple. Here is my review posted on the restaurant review section of the travel forum.

“Charming, relatively new restaurant (Dec 2021) owned by young husband and wife team: Joam and Carolina in heart of Evora’s walled-city. Lovely menu — a wonderful synthesis of traditional Alentejo fare with a modern, young twist. Small restaurant (get a reservation!), every dish made-to-order with great care. Carolina works front of house (welcoming you like your kid sister) and Chef Joam works his magic in the back. Best dinner we had in Portugal, because of the warm welcoming spirit, delicious food and nod to the future of the region. Highly recommend.”

Posted by
36 posts

In addition to the fantastic meal at Lombardo, we enjoyed THE BEST pastel de nata at Fábrica dos Pastéis — a cute bakery on a small street in Evora. (We ate MANY pastel de nata over our 3-week travels throughout Portugal — and this bakery was the winner by a long shot!) Definitely worth tracking down this sweet place.

Here’s the address:
Fábrica dos Pastéis
Alcárcova de Cima 10, 7000-661 Évora, Portugal
Enjoy!

Posted by
55 posts

Ola CSB: I'm sure glad I checked my question to see your reply. I think we will definitely spend out last 1-2 nights in Evora. The restaurant looks incredible AND Fabrica.

Do you have a hotel you would recommend? And things to do in Evora beyond traditional spots recommended on travel sites. We are mostly people watchers, walkers, wanderers ... more than historical sites folks.

Obrigado

Posted by
1070 posts

There's the megaliths. Below is a link to an amazing tour.

https://www.eboramegalithica.com/?lang=en

And there's the aqueduct. Inside the walls they built houses in the arches, but you can continue to follow it outside of the walls for a long while if you wish.

Evora Public Garden (Jardim Publico de Evora) has this section with old walls with lots of wandering peacocks. Makes for some great pictures.

Posted by
90 posts

We were just in Evora, we stayed 2 nights and I felt it was the right amount of time. We stayed at Lavadores Guest House and would recommend. We also had a great lunch at O’Templo and was one of the best meals of our trip. I would suggest making reservations for any restaurants you wish to try, most are small and fill quickly. Some also only take cash/euro.

Posted by
55 posts

Thank you Priscilla. We ended up staying at Albergaria Do Calvario and LOVED it, especially the breakfast!