Please sign in to post.

Driving in Portugal

I will be renting a car in June during my trip to Portugal.

Can I use my US drivers license to rent the car?
Thanks

Posted by
362 posts

You need an international drivers permit (IDP) from AAA used in conjunction with your license.

Posted by
259 posts

Take note that an increasing number of toll roads in Portugal require electronic transponders or payment within I think 5 days at specified locations. On these stretches especially prevalent in the south , there are no cash tolls. If your route includes these areas it is advisable to agree to pay the transponder rental fee . Otherwise you will wasting lots of time going to Post Offices or wherever or paying fines from back home if you ignore the tolls. We were there last year and rented the transponder and it was worth the extra cost. Just sign up when you pick up the car.

Posted by
254 posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely pay for the toll transponder. I definitely do not want to wait in till lines and worry about having cash on hand.

I will apply for my International permit this week.

Posted by
88 posts

I am in Portugal, and just turned in my rental. Used Eurocar.
Don't have an international driver's license, I've rented cars in Ireland, Belgium and Portugal in last year, never had to show one, just New York state US license.

Not a big deal to get one though.

Tolls, the rental company will charge a fee so tolls can be charged to your credit card automatically. Easy, no need to stop, just use the special lane or the overhead sensors will record your passing.

'Interstates' are some of the best I've been on, and at least in April, minimal traffic. We went SIntra-Belmonte-Lisbon airport. Great trip and easy driving. I lived in Germany for almost 4 years, way too many traffic holdups and stress on the 'bahn.

Posted by
254 posts

That sounds great. I have driven in Ireland twice, and I only used my US Drivers License.
I will definitely pre-pay the Toll Road Reader for the car.
That is great news about the roads being in good condition.

We will be driving from Lisbon to Porto. I want to stop in Coimbra on the way to break up the trip. On the way back from Port to Lisbon (Sintra), I would like to stop in Nazare and Obidos. How the roads for these routes?

Thanks again.

Posted by
7449 posts

I guess I would be looking for input, but I do not recall seeing many issues with Speeding Cameras, Restricted Zones, and the like regarding Portugal, unlike Italy (notorious ZTLs), Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, etc. At least of the posters on these boards, it does not come up.

Would anybody have an idea if this is due to them just not having those types of enforcement? or just driving in Portugal is relatively uncommon (lower number of posters driving) compared to other countries?

Posted by
362 posts

Highways are great, new & vastly empty or at least that was our experience last Sept. Perhaps locals find the tolls excessive. For Nazare, we parked in Sitio and took the funicular down after lunch. In Coimbra, indulge in some roast suckling pig (leitoes), delicious! If you have time, Tomar is a great day trip with it’s aquaduct & Convento de Cristo.
BTW, an IDP is crucial. It provides a translation of your drivers license & verifies it’s validity to police. We never rent a car in Europe without it. Why chance it for $25.

Posted by
2 posts

We were there 3/30 to 4/7. Picked up the rental car at Lisbon airport and drove to the Algarve. Did not have IDP. Like others stated, the toll highways were wonderful-uncrowded outside of Lisbon, in good repair, well-marked signage. We did find that google maps on our phones worked much better than the car sat-nav for getting around. Bonus - we could set it for walking or driving.

Edit to add: We also had a transponder and it really made things easy.

Have fun!

~Marci

Posted by
88 posts

I haven't look at my credit card yet. Most tolls are .90e to 1.20e, and can be frequent. We went 1000 kms, and it may add up, but it was well worth it.

Transponder was 1.50E/day, up to 15E max, that's with Eurocar.