Please sign in to post.

Driving in Portugal

Planning a trip to Portugal and I'm wondering how difficult it is to rent a car and drive there. I read about the tolls and international driving permit.

Posted by
11156 posts

It wasn’t difficult to drive there. Most countries require an IDP, easily obtained at any AAA office for around $20.00. If you don’t have a small photo to go on the permit, AAA will take one of you.

Posted by
3161 posts

Very easy driving in Portugal. They have a very good road system. Tolls are paid using a transponder which you should be able to get from your rental agency.

Posted by
6113 posts

Get a hire car with a transponder which makes paying the tolls easy. You can usually avoid the toll roads by taking local roads.

Driving in Lisbon and the bigger cities is best avoided. I use the CoPilot app for navigation as road signage is lacking in some areas. The standard of driving seems to have improved - it used to be diabolical when I first visited - over taking on blind bends etc.

Posted by
313 posts

For our trips to Europe we've had international drivers licenses -- and never once have been asked for them. That said, we're getting them for our next trip. (grumble, grumble, grumble)

Posted by
1318 posts

I too am planning on driving in Portugal in October 2023. How much lead time do I need to get the IDP? Does AAA issue the IDP on the spot or is it a mail in deal? Anybody know?

Posted by
3 posts

On the spot, at my local store. Takes all of 10 minutes. Seems like a huge scam, but I have of course dutifully complied ahead of my trip to spain last year.

Posted by
372 posts

we found the roads to be in great condition and well signed. Drivers were courteous. Used google maps offline after downloading the area. Make sure you know how to drive a manual transmission and how to open the gas tank! We needed help at a gas station...As others have said, get a toll transponder thingy with your car. Get the smallest car you can to fit your passengers and bags, in some of the small towns the roads were barely wide enough for our Fiat 500! Enjoy driving in Portugal!