Please sign in to post.

Driving in Portugal

How hard and or difficult is it to drive in Portugal ?

Posted by
6894 posts

It is hard in the bigger cities (basically Porto and Lisbon), due to narrow and hilly streets, streetcars, and restricted parking.
It is easier elsewhere: the roads are now excellent, traffic is generally light, and some parts of the country is really scenic. Driving can be on the aggressive side, but much less so than a few years ago thanks to speed cameras, policing, and increased road safety awareness.

So, my recommendation is
- no car to visit Lisbon and surroundings (rent as you leave the area, if Lisbon is your starting point)
- you can keep a car in Porto if needed, but don't use it, park it somewhere safe
- no issues touring the rest of the country by car.

Posted by
1878 posts

Avoid driving in Porto and Lisbon, where as busy cities, as Rick says, a car is a worthless headache. I would not plan on driving to Sintra either as parking seems scarce. I would not have a car in Coimbra either. I picked up in Coimbra and dropped in Cascais in 2008, even driving across the bridge that looks like the Golden Gate in Lisbon, without any trouble. Parking could be tight in some places, like Nazare. Be careful parking in public lots overnight, if there is a market the next day you could get an unpleasant surprise.

Posted by
15582 posts

I had a car for 10 days in May this year. It depends on where you will be driving. What's your itinerary?

I enjoy driving and I'm used to manual transmission. Some areas were easy driving, some were among the most difficult I've had in Europe.

Posted by
6113 posts

The standard of driving in many parts of Portugal is still dreadful, but much better than it was 15-20 years ago, when overtaking on a blind bend was almost obligatory!

Roads are generally well signed for most places. The road surface on the toll roads is good in my experience, but can be appalling on some of the major non motorway routes, such as the N125 in the Algarve east of Faro.

We don’t find driving there difficult, even though they drive on the “wrong” side of the road for us.

Posted by
94 posts

Chani, Where did you find driving to be difficult? We plan to rent a car for our 2 week visit, and your comment about some driving being the most difficult you’ve experienced in Europe made me nervous.

Posted by
15582 posts

Mainly the eastern part of the country. Driving from Evora to Elvas, to Castelo Rodriga, to the Douro Valley, it's mostly narrow 2-lane roads with lots of curves and no shoulders. Driving was a lot slower than expected because I didn't feel comfortable driving at the posted speed limits most of the time - and other experienced drivers like me told me the same thing. Locals drive at the limit but they are familiar with the roads. Expect to be passed. Signage is not very good.

The toll roads were pleasant to drive and most of the roads west of a line from Lisbon/Tomar/Coimbra/Porto were not a problem.

Posted by
94 posts

Yuck! We'll be driving in that area. Guess it will be better than years ago when my sister drove in the Alentejo, and they would come around a curve or over a hill to find a slow moving farmer driving a horse and wagon.

Posted by
15582 posts

It's worth the somewhat difficult driving to see those places!! My best advice - pick up a central Portugal map at one of the TI's which will give you a sense of where you're going. I had many arguments with my Garmin GPS and learned to check google maps and there was still some name-calling. Add at least 50% to any driving times your GPS or app tells you. Much of the driving is scenic - unfortunately I was too intent on the road to be able to enjoy it without pulling over. I am usually able to drive and enjoy the views - even on the Amalfi Coast.

Good news, I didn't see any vehicles without motors.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you All for all your replies ! Its been very helpful. We will keep the car in the countryside and not in the big cities to follow many of your advice. Thanks again :)