Please sign in to post.

Douro river cruise

We have a 1 hour cruise along the Douro included in our RS tour in September but we have some extra days after the tour in Porto and wondering if we should book a longer (maybe all day) tour along the river? Anyone having any fun recommendations for our extra days there?

Posted by
55 posts

Suggest you email www.tasteporto.com and they can connect you with an all day tour including Transportation, lunch, boat, and Port tasting at a vineyard. It is the oldest tasting tour in the city and we have done 2 tours with them plus the recommended Douro tour-which I can't remember its' name-I plead age issues.

Posted by
1663 posts

I also recommend the Taste Porto food tour. A short trip out to Matosinhos is also fun. They have a long row of restaurants that cook your fish on outdoor grills. Gaia and it’s port lodges are fun. Some of the lodges have regular wine, too.
Ive done a couple of hour long boat trips on the Douro and think I (personally) would be bored with an entire day on the river.

Posted by
7640 posts

A one hour Douro cruise won't get you far into the interior.

Suggest taking a longer cruise or taking the train up the river to Regua for a night.

Posted by
81 posts

We did a combo van/ boat tour on the Douro through Cooltours (www.thecooltours.com/regular-tours/douro-tours/). At 9 hours, it was a long day, but highly enjoyable and informative. They picked us up and dropped us off at our hotel. We had lunch at a Quinta on the river and tasted both still and Port wines. Would recommend the tour.