Please sign in to post.

Day Trips from Lisbon

We will be in Lisbon for a week at the end of march and early April. We are definitely taking a day trip to Sintra and Evora. Are they easy by train? Can we buy tickets the day of without any problem? My husband would like to go to Nazare and Obidos. Too much? Too far? Easy by train? Or should we rent a car? Thanks

Posted by
11156 posts

The best way to go to Sintra is by train.
We had a car when we left Lisbon to visit Obidos, Nazaré , Evora so can’t help you with transportation for them. All of your husband’s day trip ideas are good ones. Of not trains, maybe buses? We rented our car at the Lisbon airport when we left the city.

Posted by
1671 posts

For a stay of a week, I would suggest you stick with day trips to Sintra and Evora - and drop Nazaré and Obidos. There is more than enough to keep you busy in Lisbon with just these two day trips. Sintra and Evora are both easy by train. However, the Evora trip will be a long one for just a day trip. Both Obidos and Nazaré are not as easy.
If you book the trip to Evora up to 30 days ahead, you get a significant discount. It’s easy on cp.pt
And, if you must do one of the others, Obidos is a much better choice IMO. The best transport would be by bus. I wouldn’t rent a car for just that trip. And, most people spend not more than 2-3 hours in Obidos.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello johnaddoc,

I agree with the previous comment - Lisbon has many places to visit and things to see; a day trip to Sintra is a must (even though you won't see all the POIs) and Évora as well. Don't lose time visiting other places and leave them for another visit ;)

Enjoy Portugal ;)

Posted by
6113 posts

Nazare is an overrated beach resort and March/April will not be beach weather.

Sintra and Evora are good options and cheap if you book rail tickets in advance.