Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Sintra

We will be staying in Lisbon for just over a week in April. Is there a day of the week that may be less crowded?
Also, we are there April 4-13. Does anyone know if there are closures for Good Friday?

Posted by
2455 posts

Patty, I’m not sure about April, but I have often heard that Mondays tend to be crowded with tourists in Sintra, because many museums in Lisbon are closed on Mondays. So, people choose Monday for a day trip or tour to Sintra.

Posted by
767 posts

According to TripAdvisor posters, there are no Good Friday closures, but I'd check the websites of places you are particularly interested in. Keep in mind that Good Friday in Portugal is a national holiday, so keep that in mind when looking at transportation. Schedules will be reduced.

Posted by
36 posts

I have the same question about touring Sintra, although later in April. So, generally speaking, is Sunday a better day of week to tour Sintra than Monday (since Lisbon museums are closed on Mondays?) Or, is it a toss-up?

Thanks!

Posted by
5226 posts

Patty,

If you have time, I'd suggest you consider staying in Sintra for at least a couple of nights.
By doing this, you'll have time to visit all the amazing sights in Sintra.

Here's my trip report to give you some ideas: Our trip in progress...Sintra

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
273 posts

Hi
Be aware that in the municipality of Sintra on sundays there is free entrance to all monuments to legal residents of Sintra.
Although it may not impact on the number of visitors ( after all it's probable they have seen the monuments numerous times) it's something to consider.
You are traveling during Holly Week ( Easter) so expect more crowding and less services.
The Lisbon area is not as religious as other areas of Portugal but still expect more travelers.
Happy travels