Please sign in to post.

clothing

How important is it to have a skirt in Portugal? I am hiking the Santiago after the tour and would rather have a pair of cut offs with my long pants.

Posted by
6289 posts

I would take at least one outfit that would be respectful in churches, and maybe suitable for a nicer restaurant - by which I mean, not a bar. Cutoffs are comfy, but not appropriate everywhere. Skirts are fine, but if you don't want to take one, that's okay. At least one pair of nice slacks or jeans, with a top that is modest and can be dressed up with a scarf or jacket. You're golden, and will fit in almost everywhere.

I often take a skirt, but almost never wear it.

Posted by
4300 posts

I seldom take skirts or dresses on a trip-just khaki pants and dark jeans(no holes or fringed bottoms)

Posted by
15579 posts

I spent 3+ weeks in Portugal, no skirts, just capris and long pants.

Posted by
6113 posts

“The big thing now is no checked baggage” - not for Europeans! However, if you are transporting your own bag on a hike, I agree that you need to pack lightly.

I always take a dress or skirt to Portugal for smarter dining and wearing in churches, which I always wear, particularly in the evenings when it gets much cooler.

Posted by
1665 posts

I’ve lived here four years and don’t own a skirt. A little dressier pants is fine for wherever you go.

Posted by
8938 posts

We walked from Porto to Santiago on the Portuguese Camino and just wore our hiking pants, daughter had leggings. There is no reason to have a skirt to wear. The people in town are wearing jeans and shorts too, and all the people walking the Camino through Portugal are wearing hiking clothing. I would not worry about this at all.