Please sign in to post.

Christmas Itinerary Dec 2019

We have planned a Itinerary over the Xmas period and looking to stay in Porto over Dec 24 - 27. 3 Nights. I realize some places would be closed over this period, but looking for some must see/do things in Porto over Xmas.? Would anyone have advice on special events over Xmas in Porto?

Also - from Porto we would head south and looking to stay in the Obidas - Caldas da Rainha region for 1 night for sure and then thought we would head back to Lisbon and stay the night before our flight out on the 29th. At 3:45 PM.

Am now thinking we could stay 2 nights in this area and then drive to Lisbon airport the morning of our departure - drop our car and go directly to our flight. Is this feasible? I have looked at drive times from Caldas da Rainha to Lisbon and looking to allow 1 1/2 hr to arrive at the LIS airport.

Thank You in advance:)

Posted by
2 posts

Yes - we plan to see the Drouo area also.

I am interested in info on any special events in the Porto area over Christmas and also is it feasible to drive from Caldos da rainha area to Lisbon the day we depart? As per my original post.

TIA

Posted by
480 posts

Hi Zuessluci,
We stayed in Obidos and drove back to the Lisbon airport with no problem. Our flight was later morning. It was on a weekend however, so we did not have to deal with weekday traffic. I thought it was a great way to end our trip.

Posted by
1671 posts

I would caution you about driving from Obidos area to airport on the morning of your flight. The Lisbon traffic is pretty awful and unpredictable. At least one time since I’ve lived here, it took an hour from Cascais to the airport due to traffic, when it’s usually 30 minutes. And, the stated driving times on Michelin, etc. are usually shorter than it actually takes.