Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Portugal

Well, it seems my last post was maybe asking too much as I received only one response (THANK YOU!) but I could really use some advice here -- I have checked the travel forum and other areas of this site and while there's a lot of info about Christmas in Europe, no reports from Portugal.

I am looking for any information on the best place to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in Portugal - Lisbon or Porto or any town in between? I've heard Obidos is the place to be?

If anyone has been there over Christmas and can share suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Any locals -- can you give me an idea of closures to expect? Will there be any sites, museums or activities open on Christmas Day? Any restaurants open? Or should we expect to just stroll around or stay in our hotel for the day?

For context, my family is Catholic and is planning to attend midnight mass wherever we are.

Thank you !

Posted by
1780 posts

Virtually everything is closed on Christmas Day and most things close early Christmas Eve, as that is the main family time. I’ve heard that some Indian restaurants are open but haven’t tried to eat out on Christmas. The other days during that time of the year will have everything open - except on New Year’s Day.

Lisbon or Porto would be best as you could stay in a nicer hotel that would have meals on the holiday. It would likely be a great day to wander, as few people will be out and about.