Please sign in to post.

Choice

We will have seven nights in Portugal. We fly in and out of Lisbon. Should we stay in Lisbon and day trip to Evora and Sintra and take our time in Lisbon the other days? Or train to Porto for two nights and return to Lisbon for the other five? We can still do a day trip to Sintra. Thanks fir any advice

Posted by
32206 posts

I'd suggest splitting the time between Lisbon and Porto, with a few day trips if desired. You could also consider a day trip to the Douro Valley.

Posted by
1671 posts

While taking the train to Porto is easy and inexpensive, it will take up much of two days by the time you check in and out of hotels, go to and from train stations, etc. For only two nights (which gives you one day in Porto), I would skip Porto this trip and stay in Lisbon. With Evora (which will be a long day trip) and Sintra, you can easily fill a week and have time to slow down and really enjoy the trip - rather than rushing from place to place.
Lisbon (to me) is a lot about slow lunches outside, wandering around old neighborhoods, enjoying the miradouros, etc.

Posted by
80 posts

Hello @johnanddoc ,

Even though I'm from Porto area and I definitely suggest a visit to this wonderful city, I have to agree with the previous comment...
You should stay in Lisbon and do some day trips... actually, I'd suggest you stay in Sintra for one night so you can easily visit all the POIs... you can take the train in Lisbon since it's relatively close to Sintra, and from Sintra you could take public transportation or a taxi to the airport... If you stay in Sintra you'll save some time and use it to visit some of the places but you could just go for a day trip (but I believe it won't be the same).
Évora is also a great place to go and I think you'll enjoy it as well ;)

Enjoy your stay and enjoy Portugal ;)