Please sign in to post.

Carry on size for British Airways

Traveling from SF to Lisbon via British Airways (both legs of the trip) with a layover in London. My primary carry-on fits the carry-on size restriction, but a second carry-on is off by an inch or two. That being a small backpack. I prefer to not check bags, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience and advice for this type of situation??

Posted by
1078 posts

Make the profile as small as possible so it isn't as noticeable on your back when checking in. Use packing cubes/zip lock bags etc to flatten out the contents so the bag doesn't stick out too far. Wear anything bulky. And there are always pockets to temporarily place items. Perhaps some kind of cinch ties to smash it down to the correct size?

Posted by
16265 posts

Sometimes they do “yellow tag” the personal items, measuring them to make sure they will fit under the seat. I saw this on our most recent flight last week. So pack your backpack lightly so it can be compressed if necessary.

Which dimension is larger than allowed?

Posted by
6 posts

The second carry on needs to be: 16 x 12 x 6in My backpack is 17 x 12 x 8

Posted by
6539 posts

It all depends on who is working when you check it. There seems to be a lot of discretion when it comes to size and weight. We’ve been on flights where the BA employees went by the book and others where we thought to ourselves, there’s no way that comes close to the size restrictions.

Posted by
11179 posts

The second carry on needs to be: 16 x 12 x 6in My backpack is 17 x 12 x 8

Do not stuff it to the max

Posted by
138 posts

Last August we wanted to travel with just carry-on. Fine for the first piece and it easily went in the overhead. Our second bag, the "personal item," having checked measurements, did NOT fit under the seat with the configuration of that seat base. Overhead, fortunately, was not full at all and flight attendant had no issue putting it overhead. But even though we thought we met measurements online, the seats did NOT appear to have that room available.