Please sign in to post.

Carnival in Portugal

Hi All! Thanks to everyone who replied on my previous thread. A new dilemma has now arisen. I have just now realized I booked our trip right in the middle of Carnival for the week of Shrove Tuesday (Mardi Gras). I booked the trip for that time because I am from New Orleans, and we have time off of work during Mardi Gras so I was able to take the time off. My flights are already booked and can't be changed. So I really need to make the best of the situation, whatever that may be.

Shrove Tuesday is March 5, 2019.

My current plan is to arrive in Porto on Friday, March 1, and immediately take the train to Pinhao for 2 nights.
Take the train back to Porto on Sunday, March 3 for two nights.
Take the train to Lisbon on Tuesday, March 5 for four nights. This would put me travelling from Porto to Lisbon on Shrove Tuesday.
Fly out of Lisbon on Saturday, March 9.

How bad is this? Is this still do-able? Will the weekend before Shrove Tuesday be ok in Pinhao? I can adjust my time in each city as needed to time it better if necessary. I know in New Orleans, it is practically impossible to get anywhere during the week of Mardi Gras, so hoping this is not the case.

I cannot believe that it didn't even occur to me that Mardi Gras would be going on in Portugal, I was just so excited to be getting the vacation.

Can anyone comment on this or give advice?

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
1665 posts

Não faz mal! No worries. There are no large carnival celebrations in Portugal. I think a few smaller towns do a carnival of sorts, but you should experience zero problems in traveling during that time.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks so much Kathryn! I'm feeling much better knowing this!