Please sign in to post.

Carnival in Libson 2023

My family and I will be in Lisbon in February and were curious about events taking place in the city on Tuesday the 21st (Shrove Tuesday). Is anyone aware of any events taking place in the city or of a resource that I can use to learn more? Thank you.

Posted by
1665 posts

Carnival/Semana Santa isn’t a thing in Portugal. There are a few small towns closer to Spain that do a parade and some festivities. You will be hard pressed to find anything much in the Lisbon region. If I see something closer to that time, I’ll try to remember to post it. As a lot of holidays/celebrations/events are becoming more prevalent in Portugal in recent years, this might also.

Posted by
7534 posts

Yes, there are some very specific places in Portugal that do Carnival. We went to Loule, in the Algarve, where they have a parade, and a good celebration. Other places have them as well, but what we found is that most of the festivities are private affairs, sort of a club event where they have a ball and a party. But for Lisbon, the impression we had is that while they have some activities, it is not a huge event, maybe others have more info.

Posted by
1 posts

I will be there at the same time - I have found information about events in Torres Vedras, a little outside Lisbon. It seems that the big parades and parties are on Sunday (19th) and Tuesday (21st) and cost around 8 euro to enter.

Here is the event website (I used Google translate to understand it). http://www.carnavaldetorresvedras.pt/programa

Hope this is helpful, enjoy your visit!