Please sign in to post.

Car rental advice

Our accommodation in Porto is near the São Bento metro station. Our plan is to rent a car after four nights in Porto and drive to Douro valley for two days. After the Douro valley we are heading to Coimbra. Two of my car rental options are below:

1. Pick up car from Hertz on Rua de Santa Catarina, about a 20 minute walk or short taxi ride from our apartment. Drop off on Rue Padre Estevao Cabral in Coimbra.

2. Pick up and return car to Sixt in Maia (near airport), about a 55 minute metro journey from our apartment. Then take a train to Coimbra.

I think Hertz is the better option and the additional rental cost is offset by eliminating train ride from Porto to Coimbra. Via Michelin indicates the driving cost to be 22.64€ including tolls and fuel. Does this make sense or is there a better option?

Posted by
3169 posts

You might check with Europcar. They have multiple locations in both cities.

Posted by
125 posts

I did check Europcar but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Posted by
1078 posts

I use Expedia.co.uk for EU rentals-not the U.S. .com sites. Check it out-insurance (NOT super CDW) is in the price. I strongly recommend that you get the super CDW in Portugual to cover the dents and dings that are common there when parking.