Please sign in to post.

car rental

Thinking about renting a car in Lisbon after a few days stay,and heading towards Porto. My question is, are there rental companies in the city or would I have to go to the airport , and are there drop off locations in Porto or again would the car have to be dropped off at the airport?

Posted by
1214 posts

We are looking at renting a car for our September trip.

I suggest you search Zest Car Rentals. They are a UK broker and deal with most of the rental companies. Prices are usally cheaper than renting direct with the companies. CDW and second driver included. There are numerous options, picking up at airport, train station, rental company's office and even delivery to your hotel. You can drop off in a different city, airport or office. There will be a small local charge depending upon pickup and dropoff. Email Zest with your questions and they will usually respond within a day.

Posted by
6612 posts

I did a quick Google maps search using Avis and multiple locations in the city showed up. I guess you can search on whichever company you generally rent from.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi from Wisconsin,
Three thoughts.
1. Check Euopcar and Autoeurope. It doesn't hurt to spend an extra ten minutes shopping.
1b. Rent a fully cancelable agreement for a car. And check back at Autoeurope every week or so to see if prices are down. Don't cancel the old expensive agreement until you have signed the deal for the new less expensive rental.

1. Your credit card likely provides up to 30 consecutive days of CDW insurance at no cost, typically half of the total car rental expenses. The rental agency will try to scare you into buying, wheel insurance, window insurance, and of course CDW. There must be a commission available if they sell it to you. You have to turn down all other insurance for your CC insurance to be in force.

2. Consider the airport and not Lisbon city as a source for your rental car. Driving in Lisbon...not a good idea. And along that line, Porto isn't a friendly place to drive either. Think about a train ride, from Lisbon to Porto.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
508 posts

I researched all the car rental companies and ended up using Auto Europe for our next trip as it was the cheapest option for the same rental companies. We have used their sister company Kemwel in the past with no issues - they also helped us with a car that needed to be exchanged.

Keep checking prices for sales… One way rentals usually have extra fees. In Lisbon, the airport is very accessible and for our trip it was cheaper to rent there.

Your credit card might cover, but check what is covered and the claim process. Basic coverage is usually mandatory and includes liability. We usually find a package that covers everything including tires, glass and roadside assistance. Have had cars hit in Italy and Greece - the cost was worth the convenience of just walking away from a damaged vehicle. Each car company has different prices and some are reasonable. I have found it’s cheaper to get it ahead of time instead of at the counter.

We also usually reserve something and then keep checking as rates often drop right before our trip. Also, cancellation policies vary and if prepaying check the total price as sometimes there are fees due at the counter.

With Auto Europe, there was a sale over this past weekend and for our upcoming trip. We reserved a car pickup/return from LIS for 14 days including everything - rental, taxes, full zero deductible coverage and roadside assistance - for $423 total. We will have to pay about €20 additional for the toll transponder.