Please sign in to post.

Bus or Train

We are visiting Portugal for the first time in February and looking for advice on best way to get from Lisbon to Faro. Thank you in advance.

Posted by
1666 posts

The train from Lisbon to Faro is easy and inexpensive if you purchase tickets up to 30 days ahead. The cp.pt website is easy to use.

Posted by
16893 posts

The only reasons I'd choose a bus over a train would be either a more convenient schedule or a more convenient station location, based on your preference. Cost doesn't usually come into it, since both options should be quite affordable in Portugal.

Posted by
362 posts

I would suggest train just because it’s more comfortable. You have food, drink and a bathroom. On a bus I think there is a required stop for the bus driver and no amenities. You must wear your seat belt. If a bus check is done the passenger gets the ticket for not buckling up. I found the cost minimally different between the two.

Posted by
362 posts

FYI- Winter train schedule not out yet- check CP web page after December 8 for schedule & ticket prices.

Posted by
67 posts

My only advice is check the day before departure whether there is a strike or not! We were intending to take the train from Porto to Lisbon and fortunately went to the station the day before to be told - nope a strike tomorrrw - allowed us to book a bus instead. While the train was more comfortable (we took it from Lisbon to Porto) the bus was comfortable with wifi and reserved seating.