Please sign in to post.

Braga, Portugal July 2016

Hello,
We are traveling to Braga, Portugal next July. I have been scanning Kayak for flights, and I've found some that fly out of Vancouver, BC (rather than Seattle) for around $1,100. Does that seem to be a decent price? Out of Seattle, the tickets were more expensive. The closest airport to Braga, I believe, is Porto. Not sure whether I should just buy tickets now or wait to see if they will fluctuate a little. This is a completely new place for us to travel! I'd love any other advice on the area as well. We are traveling there for a World's jump rope competition, but I'm completely unfamiliar with Portugal. We've traveled to France, Italy, and Switzerland as a family, but Portugal is new. We are very excited for the adventure, but I'd love advice before moving forward.
Many thanks!
Becky

Posted by
16893 posts

Our staff have been paying more than that for both summer and fall travel from Seattle to anywhere in Europe. Vancouver does have a reputation for cheaper options. We don't track fares there, but I think it sounds good. Fare sales that I've noticed in winter tend to apply to travel through March or April, but not peak season.

Posted by
97 posts

We're in Portugal right now and that's less than we paid from San Francisco. Looks like a good price.

Porto would be the closest airport. We spent six days in Porto last week and went to Braga as a day trip. It was about an hour by local train, and I think the cost was about 3 euro each way. It would have been faster on other trains for substantially more money. Braga has been one of our favorite spots in Portugal. Lots of interesting buildings and sites.

Neil

Posted by
167 posts

I love Portugal, been 6 times,getting ready to visit again in June 2016. Northern Portugal ..Porto and the region has become my favorite part of Portugal.

However, I always fly into Lisbon, because the air fare and connections are cheaper and usually much shorter air time. Given that trains are around 3 hours or so from Lisbon to Porto, and not expensive, I arrive in Lisbon and take the train to Porto. I am on the east coast, but I suspect the air fare to Lisbon instead of Porto would still be cheaper. I have being using Google Flight lately as my initial research tool, it is simple and powerful and allows you to see the fares in a month(s) calendar format, you can then go the airline to book.
Braga is fascinating, Viana do Castelo is one of my favorite cities, also love Ponte de Lima.
Many other places in the region, most can be done as day trips from a Porto base.
Also a train leaving from Porto that goes along the Duoro River passing by the wine growing regions beautiful landscape.