Please sign in to post.

Boston to Ponta Delgada August 2022

I am flying from Boston to Ponta Delgada in the Azores in August, then on to Lisbon for a few days before returning home. TAP airlines used to have a direct flight to Ponta Delgada (started in 2020), but it looks as though they've discontinued this option. I'm assuming this is because of COVID and reduced travel. We can get there on TAP but we'd have a layover in Lisbon, which isn't ideal. Does anyone know if they will be resuming this non-stop option? I've looked at Azores Airlines, as well, and they have a non-stop flight, but not on Wednesdays, which is unfortunately the day we need to travel due to work restrictions for one of our travel companions. Any help is greatly appreciated, along with any ideas of must-see/do items on the island!

Posted by
247 posts

August … less than 6 months out- if it doesn’t show yet on TAP or google flights it’s not going to come back. Even if it does, the chances of it flying on Wednesday (or every day of the week) is not bright. There is 300 pg guide to the azores pinned at the top of the forum which should have more info than u need.

Posted by
472 posts

United Airlines will be flying from Newark to Ponta Delgada this summer 2022. The prices for most days is expensive, but if you have their frequent flyer miles, it might be worth it.

It is anybody’s guess if TAP will have flights from Boston to Ponta Delgada in the future. It has nothing to do with Covid with their current scheduling. Delta tried doing seasonal flights a few years ago (JFK-PDL) and stopped after one season. I have used SATA/ Azores Airlines for almost all my trips to the Azores in 28 years of visiting the Azores.

Check if the specific flight you want has a stopover in Terceira, as some days offer this instead of a direct flight to Ponta Delgada. I have done this flight a few times and works out fine.

I will be flying to Ponta Delgada this summer on TAP, with a 2-1/2 hour layover in Lisbon, and arriving in Ponta Delgada mid-morning the next day. I will be flying home using Azores Airlines at the end of the trip.

As a previous forum member noted, at the top of this Portugal forum is a post written by the webmaster regarding Azores advice. There you can find a link to the “freemium” version of my Azores guidebook. I explain the ins and outs of flying to and within the Azores.

PM me if you need further help.

Carl

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you, Carl and Shaun. I appreciate the information and will definitely check out Carl's Azores guide. So looking forward to this trip!