Please sign in to post.

Azores Islands - Sept. 2018

Hello,

My husband and I plan to take two weeks to visit Portugal (only). My great-grand parents are immigrants from the islands, and I am wondering if its worth it to fly out to them. And if so, how long should we plan for it? I am a terrible flyer, but I'm willing to push through if its worth it.

For those who have flown out to the islands what are some of the benefits you've seen there? Anything I should check out specifically? I'm not exactly sure which island they're from. My grandpa just says "the Azores." So we're not sure :)

Thanks for your expertise!
-Alex

Posted by
472 posts

Hi Alex,

I just sent you a private message with the link to my Azores guide I wrote. It should have the answers to all of your questions.

Feel free to reply to the private message with any other info you may have of your Azores ancestry. I have been researching my wife’s Azorean ancestry for over 30 years and traced (documented) her back to the 1500s for one island and the early 1600s on an another island. We also know her Portugal roots (undocumented) back to the 1200s in different areas of the country!

If you only have 2 weeks, it will depend on where and what are your must-sees on the mainland of Portugal. You may want to see how far we can get you back initially with your ancestry research to make a future visit to the Azores that much more special!

Posted by
7661 posts

We have visited San Miguel in the Azores twice, while on transatlantic cruises. The island was beautiful and we enjoyed it very much.

I don't know the cost of an airline ticket to the Azores, that would weigh heavily in my advice.

Posted by
45 posts

The Azores Islands are just wonderful - well worth the trip there - but I would try to research your roots more. Would make the trip even more interesting. Still, even if you can't find out more, the trip will be worthwhile and when you get back, you'll want to find out more !

Posted by
54 posts

I just left Sao Miguel and it is absolutely gorgeous, even in Feb. It must be unreal in the spring/summer when everything is in bloom. I messed up as we flew back and forth from Lisbon in the middle of our two weeks in Portugal - easy flights on Ryan Air or TAP - where I could have flown to the Azores for the last 4 days from Lisbon and then caught an Azores Air flight back to Boston. If you go to Sao Miguel check out the AirBnB place called Casa do Mare in Porto Formosa. Really inexpensive home that is on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic. Great place! Have fun!!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone for your awesome feedback! I am getting really excited to go and visit this year. I'm still researching on where exactly my ancestors lived, and would hope I can visit. I know how important it is to see that part of my heritage. But if I can't find out, I'm just happy to know there are great places to stay. Your feedback has really made a difference and I will be looking into visiting at least Sao Miguel.

Best,
-Alex