Please sign in to post.

Azores?

Any suggestions for visiting the Azores in late September or early October? Are there any "can't miss" sites or things to do? How many days/nights would you recommend? We are traveling from the United States and are very active. We will then fly to Porto and fly back to the US from Lisbon. Total trip length is 14 days, including travel to/from the U.S. Thanks!

Posted by
269 posts

Very interested to see responses here, as I'm planning a trip in April. I'm very excited to see Sete Cidades on Sao Miguel, and to go to the tea plantation on Terceira. Do you have an idea of which islands you are most interested in visiting? That might help people offer a narrowed down list of can't miss sights. Are you traveling with children or only adults? That too would influence recommendations.

If you look at the very first thread under Portugal, there is a link for Azores information provided by the recognized Azores expert here, Carl.

Posted by
269 posts

Correction on my last post, the tea plantation (Fábrica de Chá Gorreana) is also on Sao Miguel, not Terceira.

If you're very active, then you may be interested in outdoor activities like biking, kayaking, hiking the trails throughout the islands. All of these seem to be plentiful, as well as great diving and snorkeling. One thing they do in the Azores that I'd never heard of is canyoning, where they repel down into rivers/waterfalls. A little extreme for me, because researching it looked as though sometimes they went into rapids, but if you're very active, it might be something to check out. The draw for me on volcanic islands is always the calderas and any hot springs, also in abundance.

Posted by
472 posts

I am now on the island of São Jorge wrapping up a 5 week research trip for a second edition Azores guidebook. I visited São Miguel, Santa Maria, Pico, Faial, and now São Jorge. I visited Terceira last year. With all the pre-planning I did, I still found hundreds of interesting places I did not know of and stumbled upon. Serendipity tends to favor me in the Azores!

Your time frame to visit is excellent, although good weather is never guaranteed. The feast season will be over, and the water might be too cold to swim in. Other than these 2 issues, almost everything will be open.

To say what is not to be missed here, realizing there are 9 islands, is impossible to state. A traveler could spend months here and not see and do everything. A first visit to the Azores should be to São Miguel, for at least 5 days, and with 14 days you can include 1 more island. Which other island is up to you. Hiking is everywhere.

As others have mentioned, my free introductory portion of the Azores guide is available in the post at the top of this forum. Please send me a message if I can help further.