Please sign in to post.

ALMOST ready to book Jan/Feb 2023

Hello,

We are a mid-30s couple hoping to FINALLY make to Portugal following a Covid cancelation Sept 2020. We have been to Europe 4 other times - always Sept/early Oct and are thinking of trying out Winter (last week of Jan-First week Feb). I know weather will not be amazing, however still expecting much better than Wisconsin.

First, random EU flight question - if Flying Lisbon -> Munich -> Chicago, is 1 hr10 min enough of a layover in Munich, or will there be some sort of customs I will need to go through and would want more time for?

We are planning to start with 3.5 days in Porto (0.5 day = arrival day which includes train from LIS, so really just 3 days) then 4.5 Days in Lisbon. We are hoping to do a day long wine tour from Porto into Douro (we love wine). I have so far sent 1 email to a tour company and received a somewhat negative reply that much is closed in Duoro in January. Wondering if any one has any experience with visiting Duoro for wine in January? This would be an important part of our overall Portugal trip so want to make sure this type of tour is a reasonable expectation

Planning to spend sometime in Gaia at Port houses as well as exploring Porto - is there a recommended neighborhood or favorite accommodation to recommend? in 2020 we had been planning to stay at InPatio guest house but this does not have any bookings available for our time period (1/26-1/30/23). Price ~200-275 Euro/Night, ideally with breakfast or a fridge available in room.

Would also love to do a wine tour out of Lisbon, any recommendations with this?

Thank you!

Posted by
6909 posts

Hi!

First, random EU flight question - if Flying Lisbon - Munich - Chicago, is 1 hr10 min enough of a layover in Munich, or will there be some sort of customs I will need to go through and would want more time for?

Absolutely not. Surprised this is a 'legal' connection, even: your luggage is checked through but you will go through passport control in Munich, and check-in for long-haul international flights closes 30 minutes before scheduled departure (if not 40) so that's a tight margin. I'd want 1h30 at the very least and 2 to be comfortable. Even more if I couldn't afford to miss that flight to Chicago.

And regarding Douro: have you been to vineyards in the dead of winter? It is dreary. Just rows of wooden poles and dried out branches. You might want to focus on whatever wine tastings you can find in Porto or Vila Nova de Gaia, perhaps.

Posted by
1676 posts

I’m amazed the airlines still attempt to book such a short connection time. You will go through passport control in Munich but the good news is you won’t have to do the same in Lisbon. Book at least two hours for a connection.

I would imagine some of the tour companies will still do Douro tours in the winter, but agree the scenery won’t be very nice. But, I visited a winery in Spain last winter and even though the vines weren’t even budding out, the winery, wine and snacks were still quite nice.

FYI - some of the Gaia Port lodges do regular wine tastings also.

I like staying in the Rua dos Flores area of Porto. It’s close to a lot of restaurants and not that far from the river.

The wine tours from Lisbon aren’t as plentiful as the ones in the Douro but there should be a few. I like using Trip Advisor for researching day trips. I find the tour reviews are quite good.

And, the winter can be lovely, as long as you are prepared for some rainy days. But, the sunny ones are glorious, and definitely better than Wisconsin!

Posted by
7679 posts

The In Patio Guesthouse in Porto is the BEST B&B that we have every stayed at. It is for real, don't miss it, if you can get a reservation.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks for the information on layover time... back to the drawing board for finding flights.

I am disappointed Inpatio will not be available - I've been watching for a while and see dates open in Dec and March but nothing around our Jan-Feb dates so expect they are likely closed for a break - guess this is something I should expect given the time of year we are going. I will review the hotel choices in the Rua das Flores area.

Thanks!