Please sign in to post.

Algarve in October

My husband and I are planning a trip to Portugal the first 2 weeks of October. We would like to spend a few days on a beach. Will it be warm enough to do that? Any recommendations on where to stay? I have read on this forum that the western part of the Algarve can be very windy. Thank you.

Posted by
1666 posts

There are many beaches between Lisbon and Porto. For a trip of two weeks, I would suggest not going to the Algarve. You might want to Google beaches close to Lisbon and the Silver Coast. See what looks good to you in these areas.

Yes, it will be warm enough. The water is actually warmest in September and early October.

Posted by
6113 posts

I have been to the Algarve in early October and the weather can vary between mild, sunny days to torrential rain causing local flooding. With only 2 weeks, if you want beach time, I would stay nearer to Lisbon.

The eastern Algarve is also breezy, but not as bad as the western end, but it can feel as though the breeze knocks a few degrees off the temperature which maybe the difference between beachable and not beachable at that time of year. If it has to be the Algarve, I would suggest Tavira, Santa Lucia or Cabanas. The sea will be too cold unless you don’t mind your extremities turning blue.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you for the information. I was thinking that it might be warmer in the Algarve than around Lisbon. We are certainly open to other beach areas. We are just in the early stages of our planning. We plan on spending maybe 4 days in Lisbon. Going to Sinatra? Porto? My husband loves visiting historical sites, museums, etc. I love wandering the streets and exploring. And laying on a beach. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I are doing the same. We’re wondering if we should just stay in Lisbon and hit the nearby beaches. Or……..drive to Sintra and travel to the beaches near there. We’re going around October 10th of so from Milan.

Posted by
7543 posts

Air and water temps will be warmer in the Algarve, not a great deal, but warmer. If your focus is swimming, well, the water is always cool, do not expect the water to be over 70 Deg F, mid 60's closer to Lisbon. Think more West coast US water temps than Mediterranean or Gulf of Mexico..