Please sign in to post.

Algarve in mid March 2016

Anyone have experience visiting Algarve in March?? Main question is weather, rain, is anything open???

Posted by
6113 posts

With the weather in Europe these days, anything beyond tomorrow is difficult to predict. The Algarve will be milder than Northern Europe, but it is still likely to be quite wet and it certainly won't be beach weather which usually doesn't happen until mid April. The sea will be very cold.

Some bigger places will be open, as there are thousands of pensioners there in their caravans and motorhomes, but the smaller resorts will still be more or less closed up for the winter. Easter is at the end of March, when things start opening.

The Algarve is really all about the beaches and in March, I would recommend that you either visit another country for the beach or stay further north such as in Lisbon and Porto.

Posted by
480 posts

What made you pick the Algarve over the rest of Portugal? I believe there is some good golfing, and lovely scenery, and lots of us Canadians still feel the weather is pretty good! Not really beaching though. Personally to see Portugal in March, I would do Lisbon and other areas.

Posted by
73 posts

Thanks for the responses...we have decided with your input to dump the Algarve idea. Love this travel forum.