Please sign in to post.

Algarve Home Base for mid/late March 2023

We have 11 days in Portugal planned for mid-late March (15-26). We are planning a few days in Lisbon and then heading south. Looking for a good home base in the Algarve for that time of year. Hard to get a read on things from guide books, etc since it is not peak season.

People: 2 Parents and 7-year old daughter
Car: Likely Yes
Interests: Big hikers (kid can do up to 8 miles), Outdoor Activities, Nature. Kid likes standard kid things (playgrounds, etc). Kid loves to play on the beach even if the water is too cold.

Any places to seek out or avoid?

Posted by
6113 posts

With only 11 days, personally I wouldn’t head to the Algarve at that time of year. I have been in March and it’s still cool with some showers. The beaches on the Silver Coast much nearer to Lisbon are just as good and there’s far less travel time. The weather won’t be much different. I like Foz do Arelho and Sao Martinho do Porto. I am not keen on Nazare. Silvercoastwalks.com details walks in the area and you could join their free weekly walks of mixed nationalities but using English as a common language.

If it must be the Algarve, Alvor is one of the most family friendly resorts and Luz. The two coastal places that have some character are Lagos and Tavira.

That’s still very much off season - there will be more snow birds than families there as it’s not school holiday time. The sea is cold even in August, particularly at the western end and this end can be exceedingly windy. The beaches north of Vila do Bispo are the most stunning but you would need a car to get there.

I would avoid Albufeira, Praia da Rocha, Salema, Faro, Vilamoura and Altura as they are either closed for the winter or less family friendly.

Posted by
1 posts

My wife and I love the Algarve in the winter. We were there last December and the weather was delightful. It’s not exactly beach weather but we walked the beach every day. Temps were low 60s and sunny. That said, it does rain in the winter but that’s true of anyplace in Southern Europe in the winter. It sure beats winter in the northern US.