Please sign in to post.

Algarve

Any suggestions of the best things to do in the Algarve in Portugal would be appreciated. Especially things that are not beaches.

Posted by
1006 posts

The Algarve is primarily a beach destination and that’s why people visit. It’s popular for relaxing holidays with reliable sunny weather, and there are also loads of golf courses that draw people all year round.

There is a a boardwalk on the cliffs at Carvoeiro which is fun. Silves castle was quite interesting. But really, if you aren’t interested in the beaches, restaurants and wandering around small towns then I would not bother going. There are not lots of must see sights and it’s pretty inaccessible without a car.

I love going there but it’s for family holidays with sun, sea and good food rather than sightseeing.

Posted by
1673 posts

I agree with the other poster. Not much to see if you don’t like beaches. The views of the rock formations are pretty amazing but everything is very much focused on the sea and beaches. There are many, many great places to see in Portugal but not in the Algarve.