Please sign in to post.

Airport help

I’m close to booking my Portugal airline dates. Delta has a flight from Raleigh to Lisbon in September with only one stop in Boston I think 4 hours. The return flight from Porto to Raleigh is as follows:
Leave Porto at 8:40am. First layover is in Amsterdam for 2 hours and then onto Boston for a 3 hour layover. Is 2 hours in Amsterdam long enough? I will only have carry on luggage.

United has a flight $200-250 more: Raleigh to Newark 3 hr layover and then on to Lisbon
Return flight is Porto to Newark with a 3 hour layover then home to Raleigh.

Suggestions please and thanks.
Kathy

Posted by
5588 posts

For whatever reason, my Delta layovers in Amsterdam are always very short. Usually between 50 and 65 minutes. We've always managed. If your plane leaves Porto on time, you will be fine. If it doesn't as long as your flights are connected all on one ticket, Delta will accommodate you by putting you on the next available flight, if necessary. Sometimes, they will hold the flight, as they've done for us. I surely wouldn't pay more for the United itinerary.

Posted by
221 posts

Hi Jules.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I certainly don’t want to pay more than I have to at these prices. Glad to hear that Amsterdam layover will probably be fine. I’m going to watch the prices on Delta for a little longer and then take the plunge. I don’t leave until September.
Kathy

Posted by
13 posts

We really like Amsterdam airport BUT there are always things over which you have no control — late flights, weather, long lines, etc. We prefer AMS to Paris and have never had a REAL problem in the dozen or so times we’ve been through. Even once when the line was so long we thought we were doomed…and we only had 50 minutes. Suddenly “they” opened another line and things moved quickly. We boarded with 20 minutes to spare.

Posted by
221 posts

Kansasrod,
Your response makes me feel more confident about AMS airport, so thank you. Anything can happen though as you stated!

Posted by
89 posts

Check your credit card that may help you with interruptions/missed connection or buy suitable travel insurance which are very inexpensive if you do not buy cancelation coverage. Primary medical overseas is always helpful.